Towing vehicle with a rope

You've never tried it then. The fuel pump solenoid failed on my old Mk4 Tranny and the engine died at 50mph on a twisty back road. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt. By f*ck, it took some effort to steer that bastard to a halt and it's not something I would have undertaken at normal towing speeds.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It dated back before discs. Dunlop disc brakes used a separate calliper. Probably to save money since their systems were very expensive to make. But other makers soon made rear calipers with a built in handbrake mechanism. The drum inside a disc type is later still. However, as I said, plenty older cars had a lot of shared parts. Far more than just the shoes/pads drums/discs.

Independently actuated just seems to refer to a mechanical brake rather than hydraulic.

Indeed. A better name is parking brake.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course you will. There is no weight transfer on a rolling road tester. They can reach over 100%.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The trick is to overfill the gearbox so the gears and bearings are submerged in ATF. And tow slowly. Or, of course, remove the propshaft if RWD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Commonly called 'umbrella handle'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A vehicle with power steering is far heavier to steer when the assistance fails than the same vehicle fitted without power steering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only time I've ever needed a tow, it was a shaft seal failure on the coolant pump; I suspect cooling system-related faults make up a fair chunk of cases too.

I've been in a fair few AA flatbeds with dead vehicles on the back at ridiculous times of the night - but never my own :)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That's pretty much the setup I have with the truck - the original steering wheel was huge, but made from some '60s plastic-type technology which doesn't hold up well over the years; one of the spokes had split, so the previous owner had put the much smaller modern wheel on. I don't mind it at normal road speeds, but it's a bit of a lump to haul around at a crawl.

I'm keeping eyes peeled for an original (or repro) replacement so I can put it back how it should be (well, unless I find a PAS setup for it, I think it's pretty much a bolt-on if I can find a '70s donor).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I don't think many people have driven a car where the PS has stopped working.. sure they are very heavy when stationary, that's because you are trying to move a couple of patches of tyre in contact with the ground.. once it is moving, even slowly, it is much easier to turn as you are no longer having to overcome all the tyre friction.

Parking is a pain if you can't control the clutch and creep slowly.

Reply to
dennis

You aren't allowed on if the vehicle can't do 25 MPH IIRC (there must be exceptions as some loads that travel on the motorway are slower than that). Of course you can drive slower than that if conditions demand it. But that is true even if the road has minimum speed limit signs (blue speed sign).

Reply to
dennis

Tell you what why don't you go and potter down the M6 at 30 mph and see how far you get before they pull you over.

Reply to
dennis

And the minimum speed on a motorway is?

£50 says you will go into worm mode rather than admit you were wrong.

A simple "I was wrong, there is no minimum speeed on the Motorway" will suffice.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

i've done it down the M1...uphill with one car on the trucks back towing another on a trailer. 27mph flat out.

Deeply embarrassing.

Got overtaken by a tank..(ok, on a tank transporter).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Grimly Curmudgeon brought next idea :

Umbrella handle style - The late 50's Morris Oxford had that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes... coolant failures, oil failures, lack of spare tyre, etc.

NT

Reply to
NT

Grimly Curmudgeon brought next idea :

I don't think it was legal even back then.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Happened on my XJS and lost the power brakes as well.

It was drivable yes, but it was almost unstoppable and almost undrivable due to the heavy steering - a jag has a quick rack and BIG wheels.

Even at speed, which I didnt dare use due to the fact I physically could not stamp on the brakes hard enough to stop it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reference?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Lots of people assume so. But its not how it actually works. Dual circuits are no more reliable than single. The advantage is the ability to vary the relative pressures to some extent as the back end rises up.

NT

Reply to
NT

2 wheel braking on rear only is always going to be limited, but it was enough for normal driving, barring emergency stops. It surpsised me how fast the old drum brakes lost effect going down a gradient. 2 wheel braking on the front only gives a good 80% as much braking as 4 wheels, and is found on some very old cars. It works pretty well.

NT

Reply to
NT