Towing vehicle with a rope

I always make that assumption, especially around the Birmingham area:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dennis has gone ver' ver' quiet all of a sudden

Reply to
geoff

Are you suggesting that he will not admit that he was wrong?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Me too. And not especially around Brum.

I've even made myself jump when after a long stretch of empty road, cruising up the LH lane I realise that the car in front is doing half my speed. It's easily done.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Dennis, wrong?

Never ...

Reply to
geoff

What has given me a shock several times is mooching along at my (limited) top speed of 60 mph on a motorway in the misty pre-dawn gloom, and suddenly noticing a fog-grey coloured classic car/van trundling along on its way to a classic car show in lane one at about 45mph, with all glow-worms glowing but needing sustenance.

New mascot, anyone?

Do us all a favour, if you can't (or don't want to) at least keep up with the lorries at 56mph, keep off the motorways.

As for minimum speeds, as has been said here, there is no minimum limit, but all the vehicle classes that are forbidden are either limited to or incapable of exceeding 30mph.

Reply to
John Williamson

The perimeter road at Heathrow used to be a 20 (iirc) minimum

Reply to
The Other Mike

would

Tractors round here pull into a gateways to let you past and generally on other roads are only going to the farm half a mile on, so what's the problem?

Caravans on the other hand go on for mile after mile not pulling in to let the build up of traffic past.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

More likely to be proportioning valves feeding the rear hydraulic circuits that limit the effort on the footbrake to prevent rear wheel lockup and instability.

The handbrake, being mechanical, and normally applied at a standstill, not requiring such a limitation.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not sure if it's a legal or just good practice but they should pull in as soon as practicable if a queue of more than 3 develops.

Usual Top Gear bollocks. Mostly the caravan is held up by a slow moving single in front. The power to weight ratio of caravan and car has changed dramatically of the last 20 years or so and most outfits can now happily cruise at the speed limit on all types of road even in 5th/6th gear. Having said that, if I do see a tail building I will pull in out of sympathy for passengers of drivers like you.

Reply to
hugh

Aided and abetted by many of those in the following queue who, while have absolutely no intention of overtaking however good the opportunity do everything in their power to avoid being overtaken themselves.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Trying to be nice to the Single Farm Payment tax paying public or just embarrassment that their farm can't afford tractors with 40k gear boxes:-)

Yes. I try to avoid holiday areas in summer.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , hugh writes

No legal requirement but recommended by the industry. No help to anyone if a frustrated follower gets involved in an incident.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I was referring to the sort with separate handbrake friction material - either drum brakes inside the disc, or a second calliper.

The handbrake on my old Rover P6 that was integral to the rear callipers was one of the best I've ever had.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Funny no-one ever complains about HGVs. Have you ever known one of those pull into a layby to let the tail pass?

Reply to
hugh

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Speed limit for caravans though.

There's also a disparity between what an outfit _can_ do, and what its driver will let it do. My Dad (now fortunately retired from driving) was a distinct menace in his later years, as he went slower and slower.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have a vague memory of it once happening but probably the driver just wanted a rest. ;-)

I am not sure many of my complaints ever make it onto usenet but there are a number of common habits that I frequently complain about. The three that come quickly to mind are extreme tailgating, travelling in convoy on single carriage roads with insufficient space to allow overtaking one at a time and overtaking manoeuvres on dual carriageways that go on for miles and miles and sometimes at least still end in failure.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Bith those are fuel efficiency measures. I think it was mythbusters that showed that tarvelling 6 feet behind aother vehicle could halve fuel consumption.

That's entirely down to hard mechanical governors and/or the previous effect.

In the slipstream you appear to be able to go 10mph faster. Once you pull out you cant. Or the governor wont let you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:

That wont make the slightest difference to brakes overheating due to having to stand on them for half the journey

NT

Reply to
NT