Toilet leak when flush - looks like seal between cistern and bowl

Just noticed this....

Looks like the cistern doesnt fit absolutely squarely on the back of the bowl (Cheers Barratt!). Consequently it looks like its all got gunked up and started leaking a little.

Am I right in saying the bowl isnt fastened to the cistern normally (it doesnt look like) and that cistern fastens to wall, sits on bowl/ base which is screwed into the floor?

I'm guessing best way to fix is to remove cistern, clean out crap, replace seal and re-fit (a bit squarer) ?

Reply to
paulfoel

The bowl and cistern are fastened together by a plate and bolts which are fastened by nuts or wing nuts under the bowl ..if you look underneath you will see the ends of the bolts and the securing nuts.There is also a rubber doughnut type ring that seals the whole thing .Best to get a replacement ..Plumbers Merchant,Shed or Screwfix or Toolstation then take it apart ( turn off water and flush first ..there will be residual water in the cistern after) and clean everything then replace the plate.seal and bolts then refit .The cistern is screwed to the wall but afaiu that is just for support . This what you need

a good time to check the syphon inside and the pan connector at the rear .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

wot he said, but don't buy such a kit from Homobase. The bolts in theirs aren't fully threaded and won't tighten enough to seal. DAMHIKT.

An application of Plumbers Mait won't do any harm.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Often as things settle a leak can develop. You may get away with tightening the bolts. However - take care not to stress anything. If the cistern is tight to the wall then you could crack something. Could it have been moved by an over-weight person? Is the WC stable - if it can rock then this needs fixing.

Aim for the cistern being tight to the WC - the wall fixings are just secondary support. Don't risk pulling it back against the wall if it doesn't want to.

Reply to
John

I hope you're not discriminating against fat bastards.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hi The cistern is normally placed onto the bowl with a foam sealing ring (commonly called a doh-nut.) then 2 brass bolts with rubber washers pass through the base of the cistern and through the bowl being held with another washer and wing nuts. The cistern is then held to the wall with 2 screws in the back of the cistern above the water line. Over time the doh-nut degrades and a leak occurs or the rubber sealing washers rot again causing a leak. Most DIY or plumbing merchants stock new parts for a few pounds.Some even carry a kit of all new parts for about a fiver. The trick is to fix the cistern to the bowl first and then fix to the wall.Don't over tighten as the parts may break.

Reply to
cj

There are two common types of do-nuts. One is a simple (spongy) rubber ring, the other is like a flattened hemisphere. As stated above they only cost a pound or so so get one of each.

Take great care with the bolts through the bottom of the cistern - usually fastened to a metal flange rather than through the pedestal. The flange then has wider mounts to attach to the bowl. The bolts from within the cistern are usually brass and, although they won't seize up, they may corrode and be difficult to free. If so then you may compromise the water seal in the bottom of the cistern and gain a leak (sic!) Have a couple of (bath) tap washers and a tube of silicone sealant handing in case you need to re-seal; note if you do re-seal the inside of the cistern should be clean and dry until the sealant has completely cured.

If you have some Waxoyl or silicon grease, wipe a little onto the full surface of the do-nut before you fit it. Not only will it help the sealing action, it will also keep the rubber soft so that it maintains the seal as it flexes with the mutual movement between cistern and bowl. Also, whilst you have the cistern off check and if necessary repair/replace the wall plugs where the cistern is attached, and as you are going to have the cistern apart, replace the water lift unit (the thing that actually creates the flush) - they only cost about a tenner and it will save you another job down the line.

Don't be afraid of it - the job is quite simple really, just fiddly.

Reply to
Woody

Cheers everyone. I can see the wing nut underneath but cant see it coming up inside the cistern?

Looking underneath it looks like the seal has got all manky etc with stuff leaking out. Looks like I'll have to take apart. Doesnt look too difficult.

Reply to
paulfoel

Some bolt through the cistern - bad idea IMO, some have a steel plate held by the nut that also holds the siphon in place. You can see it in the picture here

Looking underneath it looks like the seal has got all manky etc with

It isn't.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If using a replacement kit, make sure the plates are the same thickness as the old ones. If not, you can end up with the cistern being a fraction higher than before, just enough so that the screws into the wall don't line up.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ooh no, there are hundreds. I like the ones filled with custard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Do they become don't-nuts when they fail? :-)

Reply to
Jules

Ah. Looking underneath that looks like it.

Looks like its been leaking slightly and all black gunk has caused it to expand apart...

Reply to
paulfoel

so I understand how it bolts up from underneth but how does this connect to the cistern?

Reply to
paulfoel

snipped

here

>>>so I understand how it bolts up from underneth but how does this

When you take it apart it will become obvious but part of the syphon ( which creates the flush) protrudes down through the cistern and down through the metal plate shown in

there is a large plastic nut holding it all together ...along with the rubber doughnut seal ....the long bolts fit in to the sides of the metal plate and go down through the back of the bowl and are secured by the nuts underneath and the screws securing the cistern to the wall hold it steady .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

so I understand how it bolts up from underneth but how does this connect to the cistern?

Reply to
cj

Sounds like the old pull chains, of my youth, if one even lived in a house with 'mod con', are no more? The holding of one's nose and dramatizing the downward pulling of a chain was a very effective way of saying something would not work or should be disapproved! {:-)

Reply to
terry

Paul theres a large plastic nut that holds the metal plate in place (the nut screws onto the base of the siphon). The bolts from the plate then hold the plate (and cistern) to the toilet.

Reply to
Roger

Got the part from toolstation now. Cheap - =A32.49. I bet it would have cost more from B+Q !!!!!

I guess it'll all become clear when I get the whole lot apart....

Reply to
paulfoel

Nearly £6 in Homobase - thieving bastards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman