Timer to replace two way light switch

Hi,

looking to fit a timer so the outside light comes on to give me light when I come home and turns itself off later.

I found

better/cheaper suggestions?

I don't want an activity sensor on the light. I don't want a dusk-to-dawn sensor on the light.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

I found none cheaper. I installed one of these to contol my outside lighting circuit, but found problems when I included a light sensor in the circuit because the electronics in the switch and the electronics in the light sensor seemed to have problems with each other. In the end I changed it for one with a relay in (like a central heating timer).

It will definitely only control normal filament bulbs up to

400W and it won't do low-voltage or compact fluorescent lighting - I tried both.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Thank you for the comprehensive information.

I had better check what bulb is in the light.

The one you changed to - is it a normal 'wall box' timer as advertised in the national press :-) Will it work with a two way switch? I have one switch in the hall and one in the garage.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Greenbrook T23H

for instructions

I don't think it does two-way switching I'm afraid. I couldn't get my head around two-way switching with a timer anyway - thought about it for ages and couldn't see how it would work. My inclination would be to have a timer on the supply to the circuit, and use normal two-way switches, but even this wouldn't guarantee the correct outcome, only that the lights could only be on at certain times.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds