Tiling over wallpaper- is it a bodge?

Not really. It depends on the plaster the paper and the adhesive.

If the paper has stayed up in a steaming wet bathroom without peeling, its not going to come down with a few bits of tile cement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the paper isn't accepting water, it's not going to be affected by the small amount in the tile adhesive.

sometimes. If the paper has been glued on rather than pasted, no mount of water is going to bring it off, hence my suggestion with the water

Reply to
Phil L

Hence:

Wet the paper with a sponge and leave for ten mins, then wet it again and leave it for another ten mins.

If the paper has bubbled or come loose then it will need to come off, if it hasn't, it doesn't.

Reply to
Phil L

Actually tile adhesive sticks very well to vinyl

Reply to
stuart noble

Only in the view of a complete tit who has fallen over his own feet on every piece of advice that he gives. As with your recent f*ck-up over making good a rough plastered surface with caulk.

I've dealt with the aftermath in houses where clots like you have tried it. How many times have you done it?

Ohh look at the waesel word creeping in "speedy". Preparing the ground for you to back out, eh? The 'standard' way in most homes to get wallpaper off used to be a wet sponge and I suspect for many it still is. Using a steamer is a convenvenient trick for speeding up the process, but it's not essential.

I'm not as stupid as you, but as above, I've dealt with the aftermath.

Why not a clue? Do something you haven't tried before.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So, you're too stupid to find a delete key on your keyboard, oh hang on too many words. "Stupid" was all that was needed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not in my experience. May stick for a time, but I've had to undo the bodge at flats owned by both of my children because tiles were jumping off the wallpaper.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So that's confirmation that you've not tried it yourself.

Glued with what? Evo-stick?

Yes, I note that you're unwilling to withdraw your barking mad suggestion.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, but your skill and experience are well known.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Half a dozen.

Im not backing out.

I guess your wallpaer is hung on a wing and a prayer.

Comes off at the merest whiff of hot breath.

I cant help it if you cant tile and can't paper.

Well I have built a whole house. Have you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That shows that it can hold up its own weight but what about the weight of the tiles?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

It's not "my" wallpaper.

Christ on a bike but you're thick.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm sure that you're going to explain that remark.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have stripped tiles off various walls that were wallpapered underneath - they were as tightly bound as those on plaster

I don't know Steve, I wasn't in Jim Walsh's house when the paper was hung, but I have seen paper stuck on with evo-stik yes, and silicone, fish size, bitumen, PVA adhesive and numerous other innovative methods - there is life afer solvite you know.

Yes, I bow to the fount of all knowledge and agree with you that if he sticks tiles to this wallpaper, they will immediately come flying off the wall and take someone's eye out in the process.

Reply to
Phil L

So that's confirmation that you have not tried it yourself.

Ah right, you're a master bodger. I should have known.

Perhaps you can point to where I made such a statement?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've never come across a wallpaper stuck on with other than a water solvent paste. Makes no sense to do so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you point me to the post where I claimed I had tried it myself?

Can you point me to the post where I said I had used any of the above to stick walllpaper up? - apart from solvite of course.

Path: text.news.virginmedia.com!pe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk!blueyonder!cyclone02.ams2.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.news-service.com!newsfeed.freenet.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail From: %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Subject: Re: Tiling over wallpaper- is it a bodge? Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:16:08 +0000 Organization: Firth Consulting Lines: 7 Message-ID: References:

Not in my experience. May stick for a time, but I've had to undo the bodge at flats owned by both of my children because tiles were jumping off the wallpaper.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

Phil L wrote: [snip]

Can you point me to the post where I made the allegation that you had tried it yourself?

[snip]

Can you point me to the post where I made the allegation that you had tried it yourself?

Again, can you point to where I made such a statement, not another statement that is not the one referred to above?

Or perhaps you could just admit to being a blagger?

Reply to
Steve Firth

It doesn't have to hold up the weight of the tiles. I explained that several post back. Any'more than the air holds up a will of bricks against which they are 'laid'

. It's the minimal buckling stresses that it needs to withstand, that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That depends if they are resting on something, surely? Ones round a window etc may well not be. Plus it isn't good practice to tile from the floor or skirting up as these may well not be 'square'. I'd hope a tile would be stuck such that it removes some of the plaster if you try that after the adhesive has set fully - not just resting on the one below on a wing and a prayer. Bricks are rather different, strangely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)