Tiling over wallpaper- is it a bodge?

Oh, so you are a professional handyman who DIYs for other people. Gawd help them.

You don't seem to have a basic comprehension of English.

Heading towards the Drivel file..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really. They are just a bit wider, but a 2 storey brick wall all on its own is no more stable than a tile laid on end...;-)

and of course, paper paste in shear is really very strong. Its the peeling away that is the main issue I guarantee if you glue a sheet of paper to a wall, from halfway up, and then pull on it when is mostly dry, it wont slide off the wall. It will tear the paper, and that paper is more than string enough to hold tiles weight.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Ah right, you're a master bodger. I should have known"

Because I mentioned that I had seen something other than solvite holding wallpaper on.

perhaps you could just admit to being pissed or on drugs?

Reply to
Phil L

No, perhaps you can explain how you come to that conclusion?

Repeat the above.

I can understand English, you don't seem to be able to either comprehend it or indeed express yourself using it. As with your nym, which you appear to fail to understand.

You've been driveling for longer than you'll care to admit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

People use all kinds of crap, bitumen has been used probably because of damp problems, the rest have probably been used beause it was all they had in their shed at the time, although fish glue was bery popular at one time and I've used it myself to size walls prior to papering, although it stinks to high heavens, especially when the boiling water first hits it.

Reply to
Phil L

No, I thought not. [snip]

So that's a no then, again.

Actually because you seemed to approve of such techniques, or consider them usual. [snip]

So, that's a no then.

Bless. Your apology accepted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What was that about drugs?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I understand that you are an expert in these matters, having the vast experience of 2 (two!!) flats belonging to your offspring. I OTOH have no experience at all, only having been in the building trade for

30 years and having renovated 150+ houses
Reply to
Phil L

Oh really? Where do you get the information that I have only renovated two flats?

Well, everyone I meet from the building trade is a blagger, a bodger and a k*****ad and none of them are able to admit fault. So if that's the group you want to associate yourself with, feel free.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If that's your photo on the front of your pretentious website

that very pots and kettles..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[snip]

Fucknose what you are on about. "Pretentious"? Are you picking words from a dictionary at random? Is there something about locusts that makes them pretentious?

Here's an example of pretentious; some berk calling themselves "The Natural Philosopher" without, apparently, a clue about the meaning of "Natural Philosophy".

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm having a lot of trouble with this thread.

If the paper is unpainted, take it off. It's not hard and leaving it is an unnecessary bodge.

If the paper is painted then score it and try to remove it. If it is so tightly attached that that is virtually impossible, I would score it as much as possible though to plaster to give the tile adhesive something to hang onto that isn't dependent on wallpaper adhesive.

Why are people even arguing about this?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'll give you one guess..... :>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:44:48 -0800 (PST), JimK gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I think the plot has been lost now, and it is just for "entertainment" value.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Um, you must be new to Usenet?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 06:16:18 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Lol.

If I did not like my tiles ,,,, can I leave them on and paper over them ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st