Three questions about boilers

Pretty good IME...

Search on glow-worm and 24HX and it seems to find it...

Brand: Glow-worm Model name: Flexicom 24hx Model qualifier: Model Identity no.: GC 41-315-61 First Manufactured: 2006 Last Manufactured: Current Product Index Number: 015019 Boiler last updated on database 27/Mar/2012 SAP 2009 annual efficiency: 88.4% SAP winter seasonal efficiency: 89.4% SAP summer seasonal efficiency: 78.7% Comparative hot water efficiency: 57.5% SAP 2005 Seasonal efficiency: 90.3% Efficiency category: SEDBUK Certified SAP equation used: 102 Estimate of Annual Fuel Cost Power: modulating 24.0 - 24.0 kW

Main type: Mounting: Regular Wall Condensing Fuel: Exposure: Flue: GAS Indoor Room-sealed:Fan

Its been like that for a while certainly, but seems to do its job. IIRC SDA did a windows program for accessing the database directly...

Reply to
John Rumm

Fair enough - did I mention that this bloke could offer you a biomass install with a 5 year payback time as an alternative to his LPG quote?

And I hope you saved the Calor flier to wipe your arse on.

Reply to
ARW

27kW is actually too small to have decent hot water.

I have a Vaillant 838 boiler myself that is capable of 38kW. This has 14 rads on it.

The Vaillant cost me £1200 from the wholesalers.

I had two gas engineers in for one day to fit and commission this boiler. That was another £300 on top. That was last year in April.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen H

It was on very shiny paper; quite stout card in fact. Are you sure it would be suitable for the purpose you mention?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Was the flier printed on Izal paper?

Anyone remember Izal paper from their school days?

I certainly do... its rougher than 40 grit sandpaper....

(for those who don't know what Izal is, its medicated *HARD* & *SHINY* toilet paper.

Can one still get it, and more to the point why would any sane person buy it?

Reply to
Stephen H

P.S. Izal was also popular at school as tracing paper....

(unsued Izal of course :-) )

Reply to
Stephen H

no chance of your finder going through it, as sometimes happens with modern "soft" paper.

and there was also "Bronco".

Reply to
charles

I shoud, of course, have written "finger"

Reply to
charles

I've been doing some googling on Izal.

It appears that its no longer in production.

Its now appeared on Ebay fetching silly money as there appears to be a run on the remaining Izal stock....

3 to 5 quid per roll I ask you!!!
Reply to
Stephen H

Yeeuch!!! Second-hand. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

"Now wash your hands"

Reply to
geoff

And the Military version:

"Government Property, Use both sides".

Reply to
Davey

Thanks. I'm not the OP but I have often wondered about whether to use economy 7 to heat the water cylinder or whether to use the oil.

The poster had a free source of pallets though.

Reply to
Fred

Are they local suppliers or national companies? If the latter, please can you share? I only know of boiler juice but always find I can get it cheaper by phoning around myself. I think I paid 59p/L a fortnight ago.

Reply to
Fred

Is there a way of working out hot water demand and boiler size? A rule of thumb perhaps? TIA

Reply to
Fred

yes, this morning, just chopped up 11 pallets.

That filled 18 apple boxes (the boxes came from Tesco)

The local free newspapers I use fo rstarting the fire after making some kindling out of the pallets...

All I have to pay for is the match and the electricity for the reciprocating saw and of course a special pallet saw blade (cuts both wood and nails)

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen H

Its normally based on the number of showers and baths

Well a 24kW would be OK for a 1 or 2 bedroom with a shower only.

a 30kW would be OK for a 1 to 2 bedroom with a bath.

38kW for 3 to 4 bedroom house with an en-suite and a bathroom

for bigger houses you're looking at two boilers or a stored hot water solution.

Reply to
Stephen H

Bugger all in it actually. I calculated how much it cost to heat the hot watertank and it was frankly peanuts. Its rare we use a whole tank in a day.

compared wit the 2 grand or more it costs to keep warm in winter, frankly I don't give a damn.

Fairy Nuff!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mixture:

Our local supplier normaly beats BJ by 2p/l and most of the other nearby suppliers as well. That maybe beacuse the local supplier is 4 miles down the road everyone else is 20 to 30 miles away, they have to factor in the transport cost.

Be aware that many apparently "independant" oil suppliers are now all owned by GB Oils / DCC. In some areas finding a true independant is virtually impossible, what does that do for competition on price on wonder...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do the maths from the specific heat capacity of water and the required flow rate and boiler efficiency when heating water.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice