The unvented cylinder annual inspection myth?

Which are explicitly forbidden as a means of heating unvented HWCs.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You forgot the mandatory overtemperature relief valve!

Reply to
cynic

Reply to
John Stumbles

Ed just beat you to it :-)

I was thinking of pressure cooker type safety devices when I wrote that and thought it was a potential weakness not to have a backup like the melting plug that they have but it's nice to know they have it covered.

Reply to
fred

So to determine how safe it is you need to know the mean time between failures of each device and the mean time to repair for the devices. Then you can work out how long a system is likely to run without exploding.

Reply to
dennis

depends on if they fail safe or not...

Reply to
John Rumm

I have yet to see a fail safe that can only fail safe.

Reply to
dennis

Read the instructions.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Have an explosion or leak and the insurance company will disown you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is. Read instructions.

I have the impression you are some sort of spammer.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They all have electric immersions, which fail more easily.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

10kW was so they did not wait too long. It did go booooom.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Quite possible on a very old neglected system. Expect many of this blows in

10, 20 years time as the install base rises.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Very poor science then. Should have used a standard element and waited. Heat loss by conduction *might* have been sufficient to prevent an explosion but it'll require a repeat experiment to determine that.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

You snipped the important bit however, which said "For a cylinder heated via a water flow from a boiler, the chances of super heating it seem minimal."

Even if that were true (which I doubt), a large proportion are unlikely to ever be heated via the immersion, given the added cost compared to doing it with the boiler.

While immersion heaters obviously can fail, it would be interesting to see how many (modern ones) fail in such a mode all the stats and overheat protections fail, and yet they still carry on heating.

Reply to
John Rumm

I am not interested in the science, it went boom. Big boom.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This is true.

Reply to