The House the 50s Built pt 4

Hey, I didn't know Triumph had single-handedly come up with the innovative idea of overboring an engine to make it bigger. According to the presenter, that is.

Also, mis-identifying an A35 as an A30.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Glad I'm not the only one who spotted the larger rear window....

Reply to
Phil

But can you tell anything apart these days? Perhaps in 50 years time the current schoolboys will still remember which Mondeo was the Mk IV, but somehow I doubt it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Didn't the A30 have a chrome grille? Always looked a bit smarter IMHO than the painted ones on the A 35. I was going to swap to one on my A35 van but by then (1973) finding a chrome one in good nick was rare and I didn't have much cash to spare on such fripperies.

G,Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Pergolas in the 1950s?

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Yup. Other obvious difference was flashing indicators - although many A30s will have been updated to these.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possible, but not widespread, iirc. I didn't notice the doors in the house - to be in keeping the panelled doors should have been flushed over with hardboard and some hideous handles affixed. Or was that mainly a 60s thing? I blame Barry Bucknell, anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Wonder if that applied to cars only,my A35 van had trafficators. Even by the early 70's these were becoming fairly rare and I got the odd indignant hoot from somebody who thought I hadn't indicated. Having belonged to a farmer for the 12 years before I got it and liberally covered with farm muck inside and out the BMC paint finish had already long lost the battle to keep the floor intact and it soon went to a scrappy after donating the engine and gearbox to mates with Morris 1000's. To get back to the programme now I have seen it,the demonstration of cylinders and pistons looked fun . I wonder what the actual power produced was,over a certain amount what they built would be a firearm which is why firing spuds from drainpipes even using innocent sounding propellants like hairspray is not something that those who do it in the UK shout much about,but I'm told it's bloody satisfying.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yes, indicators were an optional fitting on the vans, long after the saloon had them as standard (iirc, you could still insist on trafficators on the saloon for a few years - also on the Morris 1000). Tight-fisted small shop owners saw no need to pay extra for indicators, heaters, etc. Count yourself lucky wheels were essential.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon