Switching lights

I have three lights in a room.

A and B are on one circuit, and switched from two locations.

C is on another circuit and also switched from two locations.

I would like to change the switching arrangement so that B comes on when either A or C is on. Is there an easy way to do this?

Simplest way would use a relay ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Make that two relays ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

F scribbled...

Answer either -

A - the electrician is Polish

B - the train arrives 10 minutes early

C - use a 3 amp fuse

Reply to
Artic

1 is more reliable

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Two double pole switches are even more reliable.

Reply to
dennis

Wouldn't that require a relay with two coils?

Where can you buy a normal looking double pole changeover switch?

Reply to
Toby

A relay?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you do the logic with diodes, its cheaper & more robust. 1kV 1N4007s are cheap as chips.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

diode logic become a bit complex with ac.

Reply to
charles

But then you've got to have low voltage DC available for the switches, rather than keeping coils/contacts all on mains.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Why would you do that?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

To try and keep it more understandable for anyone encountering it in future ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is becoming a maze of misunderstandings. I see no reason to convert anywhere to low voltage dc, and don't know why you'd consider so doing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Thursday 05 December 2013 20:53 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Because someone said "diode" and diode logic only works with DC,

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can do it with one.

I program it in my home automation software, which all the light switches are connected to anyway. If there's been no one in the room for 20 minutes, it switches 2 of them off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not at all. Take the 2 switched lives, put each through a diode, pass that output to one side of the relay coil, with the other side to neutral. Voila, diode logic on ac.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Providing you don't mind a pulsating half wave output it will work on AC as well.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

relays clattering?

Reply to
charles

I was thinking of using a filament lamp and feeding it from both switches through mains rated diodes. Light output will be reduced, but simple and no moving parts.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar