Swimming Pool with Insulation.

Hi I intend to build a swimming pool. 30 feet x 10 feet. Partially above ground (2ft) and 3 to 4 ft below I intend to use a liner. I am going to use Solar Power to partially offset heating costs. Also an insulated swim pool cover. I've looked at panel type pools, concrete pools, etc. No one seems too concerned about insulation as part of the design.
I was going to make one with concrete and blocks but had the following thought. Why not do away with the concrete. Build walls and dig to depth, line the pool with something like Kingspan or 50 mm polystyrene panels ensuring all surfaces behind the insulation have no hollows. Add a liner then fill with water. ( I exclude such things as skimmers, drainage for clarity)
Your thoughts please on possible major issues with this concept.
regards Hal

No experience here, but wouldn't you be worried about a garden mole that found some material in its burrow that it was able to dig through?
Obviously the poor old mole might drown (and be poisoned) in its attempts to dig into your swimming pool. But you've still got a half-empty swimming pool and a waterlogged garden to sort out.
Andrew
Excuse lack of convention. Hi Andrew A valid point burrowing animals I suppose it might have helped if I had given further info. The pool will be inside. We have no moles in the garden but mice and rats are around. The rats bit is nothing to do with me lol Perhaps I should line pool hole with a metal or concrete barrier. regards Hal

Don't you believe it!
About 6 months ago my wife heard something scurrying in the loft above the bedroom. She got the pest guy from the local council out to take a look. Sure enough, he found the footprints in the dust of a rat.
Ratty was apparently taking a look-see. Nothing up in our loft (apart from the insulation that all new houses have), so it left and hasn't bothered coming back.
After speaking with a neighbour it turns out that Ratty's are quite common around these parts - and it's quite a new estate.
Apparently (according to the local pest control officer) the water companies stopped polluting the drain systems with anti-vermin measures not so long ago, and the rat population is significantly increasing across the UK as a direct result.
Naturally that'll be because Joe Public demands that water companies keep the water bills as low as possible, and keeping the rat population at bay was an expense that could be afforded.
1666 here we come.....
Andrew
Yes We have a ratty He (they) live under the workshop We see them in the winter lol regards

Have you looked at using the polystyrene blocks that you fill with concrete? perfect for a swimming pool, self insulating and come in different thicknesses.
--
David

From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, "Hal"

If I understand you correctly: you intend to dig a hole, and not to build any kind of retaining wall to hold the soil back? If so, the "walls" would need to be battered back to the angle of repose of the material you're digging into (possibly as shallow as 30). Your walls (above ground) and supporting structure would need to be founded below the bottom of your pool to avoid surcharging the sides.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,
wrote on Sun, 6 Jul 2003 14:16:44 +0000 (UTC):

or
no
Hal wrote:

I've seen this done with fibreglass... Basically they dig a hole how you want your pool to look, and blow resin with shart glass fibres in it on the (dirt) walls. Voila! Instant pool... (OK They install the pipes and stuff first).

--

I don't suffer from Insanity... | Linux User #16396
I enjoy every minute of it... |