Swapping a toilet with a cast iron soil pipe

But what do you do with your WC connector?

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I replaced mine, the lead "pipe" went through the solid 9" wall at a very strange angle, and it was not exactly round ! The wall had obviously been built around it, and it had been squashed a bit in the process ! Then result was that the hole had to be enlarged a lot to get a normal plastic pipe through - I took out a few bricks to do it. Loads of 70 year old putty came out from both ends (of the pipe, not me) - it smelt like it was straight out of the pot. Good luck (if you've not done it yet). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I try not to connect mine to the WC... its chilly!

Reply to
John Rumm

I did it today.

?action=view&current=100_0629.jpghttp://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/adamko2020/?action=view&current=100_0636.jpgIs was what I started with. I cut the lead just before the stack and then knocked it out of the wall. As the original was cemented in all the way through the cavity I did have to remove all the mortar.

?action=view&current=100_0639.jpgThe 4" to 3 1/2" adaptor would only fit when I had removed the rubber seal (the wholesalers warned me of this). I had to hammer the adaptor into place using a piece of timber to protect it from the hammer. There is no sealant in that joint, however it is a very snug fit.

Then a short piece of pipe with a 90 deg bend and then shove on the waste pipe from the inside.

had bought a flexible connector to connect the toilet to the pipe. However this was too long to do the job so I went and brought a 14.5 deg coupler.

picture does not show that the pipe and connector are actually in line with each other.

The hole will be cemented back up after the toilet is place on the ply covering that is going down in the bathroom, and certainly not today as I am going to the pub for an hour.

And thanks to Alan Lee for his advice.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dead easy isnt it? Far easier to do it than describe. Glad it went well. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Is what looks like a breeze-block wall really made of blocks only one inch thick?

JGH

Reply to
jgharston