Surprise Waiting In my Loft.....!

Went up into the loft last evening to try and find a piece of equipment put up there a few years ago.

Shock, horror, SNOW.

This terraced house was built in the early 1920's and by the looks of it, still has the original slates. They have been back filled with sand and cement, rather they had, most of it seems to have fallen out. There are no holes in the roof. It is very drafty though and I do appreciate that roofs do need some circulaltion of air.

Question. Do you think I will be able to claim for snow getting in and get the insurance company to put things right. OR Would it help if I got the mastic gun out and put waterproof sealant down all the slate joints and where the backfilled cement has fallen out.

It is only coming in on the front elevation of the house.

Thanks for any advice tendered.

Reply to
troubleinstore

You will probably find it has been snowing in your loft for the past 84 years - so one time more is unlikely to make that much difference... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Apart from the likelihood that snow has been getting into your loft for the last 80 odd years, your real problem is that you have no felt under the tiles. Most local authorities have a limited grant budget for home improvements for older style homes. Even if the answer's no, it would be worth asking if you qualify for grant aid to get the roof brought up to modern spec.

Reply to
Wanderer

Not while the mortar was in place... 84 years is damn good going for a roof, even a slate one. Powder snow is a beggar to keep out, it'll get through a tiny hole, though perhaps not in a quantity to particulary worry about. Any hole larger than tiny and it doesn't have to be straight through to the outside will let bucket fulls of the stuff in. Which remonds me I ought to check the lofts here...

I doubt that the OP will have much joy from his insurance co as he has "failed to maintain the property". Personally I'd look at stripping the roof, repalcing any iffy timbers, putting in a breathable sarking (not the old bitumin felt stuff) and then reinstating the slates if enough are in good enough condition to be reused. If nothing else it will make the roof space less draughty and thus a little warmer and thus less heat loss from the house.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

NO! its "gradual" deterioration - not covered by insurance. Anyway why should those who keep our properties maintained subside those who don't?

Maybe that would help but sounds like you need a major roof overhaul.. The joys of owning an old house ...

Reply to
BillV

"troubleinstore" wrote | Do you think I will be able to claim for snow getting in and | get the insurance company to put things right.

You probably cannot get the roof fixed on the insurance, as the problem there is due to lack of maintenance or has always been present, but if the snow had caused consequential damage (eg ceiling coming down) then that may be covered, depending on your policy and the attitude of the company.

Never mind, it's nearly March. March is gales, isn't it, not snow.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Shall have to wait and hope the gales blow the roof off then..... Where's that policy !

Reply to
troubleinstore

If you do put new torching on it, use a bonding that includes vermiculite not sand and cement. It sticks a lot easier. Is there some sort of spray on stuff you might use that the local hire shops have? Otherwise it will be a job and an half that would make reroofing seem a doddle I'm sure.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

That's working as designed. You have no sarking, you see. Next time the roofing is replaced, they'll put felt sarking up which will prevent this. There's no need to do anything about it now, though.

If it really bothers you, stick up Celotex/Kingspan insulation wedged within the rafters with 50mm air space behind to the slates. Plasterboard over if you like. Then you can have a warm loft/cold roof situation. With the sarking missing, there'll be plenty of ventilation for the timbers.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But surely if next time it snows, the samer thing will happen and all the insulation will get soaked and when the snow melts all the water will trickle through the insulation.

I had a word with the insurance company yesterday and they said they think this situation is covered by storm damage and are sending a surveyor out.

I'll keep the group upto speed on what happens next

situation. With the

Reply to
troubleinstore

Nah. It'll just run straight off the Celotex down to the eaves. Celotex isn't like rockwool.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I havent seen your roof or loft, but the odds are theres no real problem. Slate roofs are generally like sieves, the ventilation dries them out afterwards.

If you see no holes in the roof thats good news. I'd check from outside that there are no slates missing, and if there are fit the necessary replacements. And I'd check for electrics in the loft and cover any with something waterproof.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton