Surestop

Anyone fitted one of these? I assume its straightforward?

Do they work OK?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman wrote

I've fitted a Surestop remote - easy installation as the unit comes with push fittings.

As the unit is plastic ensure that you are not isolating the any earthing/bonding from the ongoing pipes. I just bonded the input and output copper pipe with standard earth bonding pipe clamps and wire.

I've one small criticism of the design. These units appear to need a pressure difference between input and output to switch the value. A small leak in the output side doesn't necessarily create enough pressure difference. If you are trying to shut off a plumbing fault , such as a small leak, just hitting the switch on the unit isn't enough and the unit will still allow water through. If you then turn on a tap the flow is enough to close the valve and you will hear a satisfying 'thunk' sound from the unit as it fully shuts off.

Reply to
Alan

Yeah, me too - much better than using the semi-seized brass stopcock hidden under a radiator.

Reply to
Steve Walker

You don't know?

Take the free installer course Dave and that should tell you whether it's straighforward or not - I would have thought that the logical step for you to take to gain more experience?

you might even make a profit out of it for the handyman's business!

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Oh do f*ck off you stupid troll.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi Dave,

Looks easy enough:

Tim S

Yes. If I'm doing a new kitchen (Ok, I've only done one in the last year!), then I'll fit one. Piss easy to fit. A property developer recommended them to me, he fits them on all of his houses, and hasnt had a problem with them, though there is always that doubt - 'will it start leaking etc'. I dont think the risk is any greater than with a new stop c*ck, so have no hesitation in fitting them. Screwfix did have a few discounted - I think it is end of line for them, as I couldnt see them in the new catalogue:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes on copper pipe. Yes. Yes. But remember they need a certain pressure to function properly. I originally wanted it as a remote switch to turn off an outside supply fed from a tank. The pressure wasn't sufficient (about 4ft head). It's now in use on a mains supply to a dishwasher and works perfectly. I'd fit one on the main incoming but it's all iron pipe stuff and difficult of access.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar

It does need some upstream pressure to make it close firmly, but that's the price you have to pay for the remote one-finger actuation. "It isn't a bug, it's a feature."

It also means you can't test the shutoff by barely cracking open the main stopcock - it will very probably leak. Open the stopcock more, and the leak stops.

Reply to
Ian White

I'd fit a gate valve (=A32) before it as well, space permitting.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hum, gate valves are notorious for not shutting off properly if they haven't been "exercised" regularly, like fully opened, fully closed, ful= ly opened then closed a little. Regularly meaning at least every 12 months.=

If you want reliable isolation a full bore ball valve would be better be= t.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I hate gate valves in this hard water area. By the time you need them to work they no longer do. I've replaced all of mine with full bore valves. Hope they work when needed. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remember it will leak until you connect the small pipes to the switch.

Reply to
dennis

I would fit it just after the stop c*ck like it says myself. Then if it fails there is also the stop c*ck.

They are intended for convenience really.

If you are worried about leaks an automatic stop is what is required.

Reply to
dennis

I don't exercise mine ;-)

I do open it until it *just* starts to bind, and close it while there's some flow through it.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hum, gate valves are notorious for not shutting off properly if they haven't been "exercised" regularly, like fully opened, fully closed, fully opened then closed a little. Regularly meaning at least every 12 months.

But make sure it's a good quality one and its fully open when in normal use, ive had to replace three of these were the ball has corroded and seized then spindle has snapped when tried to turn off.

-
Reply to
Mark