Suggestions please

We have recently had a porch (+ attached garage) erected and I wish to fill in the existing letter box slot cut into the plywood door frame side panel.

I realize that replacing the full panel would solve the problem but as I am uncertain about how it is fixed, I suspect I could cause myself even more problems.

I do wonder whether it is possible to plug and fill the slot. Cutting a suitable size and shape plywood rectangle is simple but how and what to fix it with?

Would be grateful for any suggestions and help.

TTFN

Stuart McKears

PS In case my description is unsufficient (I know what I mean!), I've put a small jpg up on

Stuart McKears

hi, either cut a piece to size so it's flush and cut some beading to fit ( bit like a picture frame) over the gap, and you could scew-nail it, or, cut a piece over-size, chanfer the edges , so it's looks like a decorative panel, and use mastic to attach. If there are other panels do the same to match. Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Or take a router, and route half-way through the door, so you create a step. Mow make a similar bit with a reverse step, and glue/screw in. Filler+paint. Alternatively, if you don't overly care about the strenght, just prepare the edges of the hole, cut a bit to fit tightly in (probably cut oversise and then sand off so it's a tight fit) and then simply glue it in. Filler and paint.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks for the suggestions. This is probably the way I will go. I have heard about repairs to ply boats which use epoxy resin as the glue and filler (I think) which can be sanded to give a smooth invisible patch.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks again

Stuart McKears

Stuart McKears

It should work well. You want something on the other side of the door to keep the patch flat. Perhaps another bit of ply on the outside, secured with a couple of small screws, and cling-film on the inside. Then you just put glue round the edges of the hole, lightly also the bit you'r putting in, and press in. You want it tightly fitting, before you start mixing the glue, so do all the sanding to fit first. Arrange something so that it presses the patch into the outside board if you can, to stop any possibility of movement.

24 hour epoxy is significantly stronger than 5 min, though it won't matter here apart from longer working time. Any number of adhesives could work fine here, I'd be a bit tempted with "no more nails" or similar, and not have to bother about getting the gap close. (epoxy may run out of the gap before it sets fully, and is generally more expensive.)
Reply to
Ian Stirling

hinged letter-plates are quite adequate.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

easier way is to screw it. screw into the slight gap between new lump and frame, using countersunk screws. Use several: job done. One side of the screw holds the lump, other side the frame. Done it several times.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Sounds like a good plan.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Lino expert

Schools on holiday I see

John

Reply to
John

If you throw'em against the wall, do they stick? If not there's plenty of wear left in'em.

Reply to
brass monkey

Sell them on ebay.

Al.

Reply to
Al

take them down to the Tate. They'll give you about 50 grand for them.

Reply to
Arthur 51