Strong, removable, non-drill fixing

I would like to put various things up on recently tiled areas, and I'm not sure about final positions, etc., so I don't want to drill and plug.

My last experiences with sticky pads, glues, etc all came to nothing, the widget either fell off with time, or slid gracelessly down the wall.

But what about now; is there some sort of sticky which is unconditionally strong, but the fixture can be chipped or pried off without damaging the surface, I don't care so much about damaging the fitting, so perhaps it could be broken up a bit, and solvent applied.

I read of very strong jollops here, but are they perhaps _too_ strong and would wreck the wall : (

mike

Reply to
mike

You could try a building adhesive of the No More Nails variety. Try some first on a spare tile to make sure it comes off again.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Double sided stick foam tape. You can remove it by using a knife to cut the foam and then scrapping it off. You *need* to clean both surfaces and have a good contact area.

There is no such thing as unconditionally strong BTW and if there was you wouldn't be able to remove it.

Reply to
dennis

Depends on what you are trying to hang but I've seen things (actually, shower accessories on QVC) that come with lever-operated suckers that work on tiles, like a small version of the things used for lifting sheets of glass etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

But only glue porous things with it - impermeable to impermeable doesn't work well.

Reply to
Guy King

"dennis@home" wrote in news:KTm5g.62362$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

just terminology - unconditionally strong, not unconditionally immoveable!

I used doublesided tape years ago without success, and have often tried the pads that things come supplied with, but they all fell off after a bit.

Is there a particular brand?

Reply to
mike

You might try the seriously heavy duty Velcro. Given the loads it can support, I would expect the adhesive to do ditto. Easy to remove all but the tape, and getting that off should be easier with nothing else left attached.

I can see 45mm 'coins' that support 4kg, but ISTR seeing some heavier duty stuff in B&Q. May be worth a look.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

I tried that some years ago, and the adhesive, over a period of weeks, let it slide down the wall, but maybe modern stuff is better at not creeping down.

Stupid gravity.

Wii check - thanks. It's more the long term, lots of things have stuck for somw weeks, then your kitchen tools fall down in the middle of the night.

In a bungerlow, with the bedroom the other side of the wall, that can make me seriously jump.

mike

Reply to
mike

Funnily, but I'd forgotten this until now...

Some weeks ago I wired up the under-shelf lights in a wall unit we got on eBay (it was previously wired with choc-block). The plugs and sockets I used were quite light, but DS sticky tape didn't work for more than a day or two. I used light duty Velcro, and they haven't fallen down yet.

Strange, but all that never crossed my mind earlier...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sikaflex-EBT is very strong and resilent (a cross between adhesive and sealant). Disadvantage is that it is horribly gunky stick stuff that is is difficult to wipe off any excess. <

Reply to
DJC

DJC wrote in news:ekx5g.62757$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Wow, if that's all true it must be the mutt's.

I'll enquire after it.

Thanks

mike

Reply to
mike

until now...

DS tape is no good unless the surfaces are *flat* or flexible as you can't get full contact. That is why double sided foam will stick better as it fills the gaps.

It fills the gaps just like foam tape does.

Reply to
dennis

"Bob Eager" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

For me it wasn't the velcro that faile, but the sticky on it's back - I can check to see if it's improved

mike

Reply to
mike

We have some hooks on the back of our wardrobe doors that are fixed with double sided sticky. I think they were made by 3M. Supposedly they are very resistant to being pulled off but can be removed by sliding. I've never had the need to try but they haven't fallen off yet.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Actually, it *was* DS foam!

But in my case it stuck better...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hi,

Try 'servo tape' available from model suppliers.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Pete C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Never heard of it, but Maplin appear to have it; I'll get some.

Thanks

mike

Reply to
mike