Stripping old varnish

I have just stripped off about 10 layers of paint which was covering the brown sort of varnish that they used in the early 20th century which causes covering paint to chip easily. The wood is still covered with brown marks but they are not shiny.
Does anyone know if this will be good enough to stop the new paint from chipping?
I have just stripped off about 10 layers of paint which was covering the brown sort of varnish that they used in the early 20th century which causes covering paint to chip easily. The wood is still covered with brown marks but they are not shiny.
Does anyone know if this will be good enough to stop the new paint from chipping?
Mike wrote in message ...

Who knows? Can you scrape the brown stuff off with your finger nail? If not, I doubt whether it or the paint will chip.