Stepped crack in 1930's house - links to photos

This one shows the entire crack (I don't think that distortion on the window is real, think that's my camera lens!)

a closer look at the worst part of the crack (it tapers out the further down it goes):

one shows the overall style of the house and gives some idea of size of windows etc:

Velvet

including the window? These ones are very close/distant with nothing in between to show the surrounding structure.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

There will be, I am back there tomorrow armed with camera again. Only took a couple cos at the time was just to get parental opinion on, but since have got the oportunity will grab some more that give a better idea.

Reply to
Velvet

i.e how long its taken to develop,has the separation rate speeded up/slowed down etc,you;d probably have to install reference pins to gather this info...more pics would help and also a pointer as to the location of the crack on the wider pic.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Additional pointers are in the partnering thread to this. Basically from lower right windowsill heading downwards to the left (toward centre of below window) and not as far down as the DPC.

Time scales would be wonderful to have, however, I'm a potential buyer thus while it doesn't appear to have moved in the last two weeks, two weeks isn't anywhere near long enough. That said, I'm not going to be able to monitor it over a year, unless I buy the place, and that's my dilemma :-)

Reply to
Velvet

nothing to worry about. However, they're generally higher up the wall - above a downstairs window, where the lintel has settled a bit.

Finding it low down on the wall is, in my view, a bit more worrying - suggesting that the foundations may have settled. Even that may not be a problem. It may have happened a very long time ago, and been stable ever since. It may even have been due to a one-off event - such as an earthquake, or maybe a nearby bomb in the war.

I think that, in your position, I would want to get a structural engineer to expose the foundations and to advise on their suitability - taking into account their depth, thickness and the soil type. Provided that didn't show up anything untoward, I would proceed with my offer.

Reply to
Set Square