Steadicams

On last night's Gadget Show:

showed how a Steadicam works and showed how to build a DIY version for a few quid.

It is basically an anglepoise with a central gymbal and counterbalances made up of the battery and monitor. One of the presenters made a lashed up version out of standard parts likely to come with a good video camera and some clips and piping you might get from a cycle shop. (He attached his video phone as the monitor.)

They also compared a couple of cameras that have digital image centralising to help cure camera shake. All very impressive.

Now help me design something that could be used in the Arctic.

Where I would start is with a carved wooden (or cut out plywood) arch. The bottom of which would hold a pouch to take the battery and a spare. This would put the weight directly under the camera.

I'd have a ball and socket joint connecting the handle to the centre of the arch. This would also act as the gymbal. Is this too simple to work?

I'd thought about a simpler pin and cone fulcrum but it would be unworkable in sub-zero temperatures as the device would need bungie rubbers to steady it.

The ultimate do it yourself newsgroup tip: If using Google, copy and paste this ruler for marking line length:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is not 100%, as Google has one or two more foibles that need working on but it certainly helps. Anyone know how use a macro or some such code to limit line length to 60 characters?

I am using Wind-up's XP and Open Office 2, which I gather is what Google may be supporting. (Yes, I do know you'd never guess.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It was a pocket TV.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Care to elaborate on this tip? What's it for? I use Google for newsgroup reading/posting - are standard posts, like this one, wrong in some way?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

And as the google groups edit box is proportional font, I can't see what use it would be even if the line-wrapping didn't work!

Reply to
gg1000

Thanks for all the help so far.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Have a look at :-

's got lots of folks, and their home made steadicams.

Reply to
xscope

If I were designing something to be used in the Arctic, I'd be very wary of using the battery as a counterweight as it will be in a very exposed position and most types of rechargeable batteries don't perform very well if they are subjected to extreme cold.

At the very least, I'd want to wrap it up in some sort of insulated housing.

Reply to
Roly

You really need nothing dangling when it gets that cold :-)

Reply to
Matt

Brilliant. Thanks.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yes I was aware of the problem. It's another thing that needs a solution. Perhaps a deck of batteries with one running to keep them warm. Or the best bet is to not use them there as you said and maybe keep them with the ski-machine (where they might be charged?)

It's going to be an headache for a few days filming that one is. Might be worth rigging a small windmill jennie.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer