standby savers

been looking into these as we use a lot of electrical equipment that the sockets are inaccessible without moving large items of furniture

are they worth it and which would you recommend ?

have found the following... Standby Saver Bye Bye Standby Powersafer

the second item looks more versatile, especially with the light switch device that comes with the starter kit instead of yet another remote

Reply to
les

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 03:05:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@redx.co.uk mused:

Have you got links for these products? Some people don't really want to research these items themselves so it may help your audience if you show them what they are.

Reply to
Lurch

have you thought about turing the device off at the switch?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The others use existing remotes rather than additional ones. The switched based one will be more useful on non av or computer kit, the standby saver one is better for AV and is also USB controllable.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would start by getting yourself a true power meter so you can measure the standby power consumption*. For modern equipment, much of it doesn't draw enough to worry about. There's loads of FUD in the press about this at the moment, and it's mostly based on older equipment which might be 5-10W in standby mode and some set-top boxes which don't reduce power at all in standby mode.

I've been checking some items we use at work as we have many hundreds on standby at any one time. LCD monitors with a Tco'93 label will be 1W max, but our HP ones are all less than 0.5W. Our laptop PSU's all drop too low for me to measure when unplugged from the laptop (but are several watts if left plugged in to a laptop even when off).

If you have appliances more than 4 years old, these may have higher standby consumption. With the very low standby currents on many modern appliances, you could easily increase your standby power consumption by adding some sort of additional standby switching without checking first.

Andrew Gabriel

list all the products I can find of that type

Reply to
SoWeezy

as I said, they are inaccessible due to being behind large items of furniture, i.e wardrobes

Reply to
SoWeezy

I meant the one of the front of the TV, or whatever.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Not all of them have a hard switch these days.

Reply to
John Rumm

and even when they do, assuming it switches the whole thing completely off is going to be wrong in some cases.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well done Andrew - too much scaremongering from magazines and TV about stand-by. There are bigger issues to deal with (Like the 500watt floodlights that come on everytime a cat walks past - Patio Heaters - effects of Arson and bonfires - over production of stuff - including food, etc.

Reply to
John