Spotlights in lathe and plaster ceiling

I have an old lathe and plaster ceiling and I'm just wondering if ther

are any problems which might arise from installing low voltage haloge spotlights. Is there an extra fire hazard here

-- Jquinn

Reply to
Jquinn

Yes. You could bring the whole ceiling down. Leave L&P alone until you are ready to replace it with plasterboard.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

If you have access from above then it can be done without too much of a problem.

On the hidden face of the ceiling - clean out any crud, apply PVA solution and apply some fresh plaster to reinforce the old plaster. Then cut your hole. In my case I cut the holes first then plastered but probably wiser to plaster first. The only other snag is the thickness of the plaster. It can be a tight fit for most light fittings.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I used a plasterboard saw. Most fittings have quite a wide rim so the holes don't have to be that accurate. It's a bit of a fiddle because the laths tend to flap about when you're trying to cut them and the springy things on the fittings have to be positioned so they're not locking on to a bit where there's a lath. Generally no problems, but you have to push the fittings quite hard to get them to snap on to the ceiling

Reply to
Stuart Noble