Soundproofing - Kitchen

My neighbours aren't bad but they do like to slam kitchen doors.

My kitchen doors are on the adjoining wall, too, so maybe they think I'm noisy too. I was going to put some of those pads on them that minimise some of the noise but I can't rely on them to do the same as we're not on speaking terms.

Thinking about how kitchen doors are made, there's usually a gap at the back of them. Could some mineral wool be behind them or how about some rubber matting where the cabinets fix to the wall?

I'm looking for something non-invasive, as I'll most likely be selling in the next year or so.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill

Could you get a friendly local burglar to gain admittance to their house while they're out and stick the pads on?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

but

How does that work!?

Presumably you are talking about the neighbours' kitchen cabinet doors, rather thah the room doors?

And are you talking about mounting your own cabinets on some form of sound-damping material? If so not sure why you reckon that will help at all - you'd need to cover the entire wall to prevent that.

Posh kitchens tend to come with noise-damping devices on the doors, but you can buy them separately, eg

(or )

- perhaps you could buy some for your neighbour to fit on the basis that it will dramatically increase his property's value by making his kitchen posher.

David

Reply to
Lobster

They probably just let 'em go and the self closing hinges do the rest.

Bumper pads will help a bit but the proper pneumatic dampers are much more effective.

Doesn't quite tally with "My neighbours aren't bad". Are you not on speaking terms because of "bad blood" between you or because they, or you, just like to keep themselves to themselves.

Not worth it for the minimal difference it would make. The dampers and much cheaper and far less hassle to fit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, we're all typically British and keep ourselves to ourselves.

One of the neighbours got everyone out clearing snow last winter and everyone was so nice but we all soon went back to being how we all were before.

Thanks for the advice all.

Reply to
Newbie