Snails and mortar

My BF's mum pointed out some big gaps in the mortar on her porch and claims the snails are eating it.

Do they? And what's the cure?

Reply to
Mogga

delivery

Or get it delivered for free

Scatter some salt around the area. Should keep the snails away.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

It might season the concrete so they enjoy it more :-) Go on, add some black pepper as well :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

delivery

> Or get it delivered for free

In this weather it'll all wash well away - but I've already told her this. :)

Reply to
Mogga

Anyone else had a snail infestation these last few months?

They have not eaten my mortar but are over the house walls (outside), pathways and fences. Even on the van wheels in a morning. I wonder how far I drive before they fall off?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Probably about one revolution, then "crunch"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Feed the snails on clean bran for a couple of days, then saute lightly in garlic butter.

Yummy yummy yummy I've got snails in my tummy.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I was a teenager I waited with a friend at the end of my driveway for her dad to arrive. We wondered what the crunching underfoot was and it turned out to be - as we saw in the car headlights when it arrived - lots and lots of snails.

Reply to
Mogga

There are always loads around my garden.

One snail here has been doing 70MPH up and down the M3, on my wing mirror. In this today's rain, it seems to have decided to move off somewhere else.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup! Provided Noah doesn't come by this evening with his ark, you will find plenty more over the next few weeks. I'm guessing this will be a bumper year for snails.

Reply to
clot

No,

Fill the gaps. the snails will be taking advantage of the gaps as somewhere safe to rest, not causing them.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

So what does cause them?

Reply to
mogga

weather

Reply to
Broadback

And time, movement as well.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Mummy & Daddy sanails :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nope, MummyDaddy & MummyDaddy snails, they are hermaphrodites you see.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Can one mummydaddy snail make baby snails on its own? (he asked, returning the topic to DIY)

RobertL

No

would be interesting if someone asked you "to go f*ck yourself" and then you got pregnant by doing so. The birth certificate would look interesting.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Snails can also gnaw through limestone. They eat the little bits of chalk in the rock, which they need for their shells (calcium).

if it was lime mortar? (does mortar have lime in it?)

Reply to
Mogga

replying to Mogga, Jo wrote: Mortar has lime in it and that is calcium carbonate (CC). Snails need CC for their shells.

Reply to
Jo