SLATE TILE GROUTING

One method i've been told to grout slate tiles is to use an cake icing bag, although i've also heard this can be very messy. I would be grateful for some ideas on the best way to grout them without getting too much on the tile surface and is not too messy.

Reply to
Steve Barnes

I used the bag method too. Depending on how wide you want the gap, its a messy job regardless. Damp sponge, and keep cleaning as you go. Get some hagesan cement grout film remover, to clean up after. I also sealed with lithofin mn slate seal.

Reply to
News

You can use the Marshalltown grout bag I sell on my web site or the grouting gun is very good on slate with the black nozzle fitted

David

You have some nice stuff that I could have done with for a recent job. I'll definitely bookmark your site for future reference

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Make sure you seal the tiles first, makes cleaning a lot easier. If you really want the best finish then use masking tape to go round each tile. Time consuming but the finish is great.

Alternatively Screwfix do a good pointing/grouting gun for about £30.

Earl

Reply to
Earl Kella

I don't see the problem with slate as it is about the most impervious stone known. Just pour a wet mix in and rub it off with sawdust as you go. If you want to use dry cement grout, just brush it on and dust it off.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

.... not with certain types of grout if not sealed, it isn't

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Slate is impervious and sealing just makes it look nicer

The problem with un-honed slate is that it had loads of crevices and edges that the rubbing on method is very bad for.I have grouted many thousands of metres of slate tiles and pointing with a gun is the most effective

David

Reply to
David