Slate Roof With No Underfelt - A Problem??

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk (SuzySue) wrote in message

Hi Susan: neither, it can be lived with indefinately. All original Victorian slate roofs are feltless.
There are 2 minor caveats with unfelted roofs:
1. Theyre almost always very old and the occasional slate will probably drop off and need refixing. Budget maybe 30 a year. 2. They let water wind and dust in, the wind dries out the water no problem. It just means you cant use wind blocking insulation up against the woodwork, as it would trap water.
If youre buying one, look at the slates, replace any broken ones, refit fallen ones. And if the roof has more than about 25% of slates fixed with visible metal tabs its time to consider reroofing.
There are lots of unfelted roofs still working without any problem.
Regards, NT

Not a problem and anyway the slates have a much longer life than felt which was installed in the past. My slate roof has wooden sarking. When I installed some Velux windows I found the sarking was in perfect condition after 100 years. One problem you may come across is that surveyors will report seeing daylight. Possibly a true report but worthless without qualification which it never is. Its the through ventilation which keeps the roof timbers dry something some BCOs fail to recognise also when insisiting on roof vents.
Alan
SuzySue wrote:

Actaually the felt does eff all. Its there to stop the slates being blown off.
It does make the rough moree draughty even than a building inspectors mandatory eaves vents though, so you might rather want to insulate counter batten, insulate and board out the loft for snugness...
MUCVH better bang for your buck than re-felting.
Of couse, if the roof ever needs redoing in toto, by all menas felt it. Its not expensive.
Out of curiosity, from what year/decade was underfelt commonly used underneath roof slates?
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 08:01:24 +0000, SuzySue wrote:

I would have said it was about the vintage as cavity walls so increasingly from 1915 to universally by 1940.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Thanks very much guys for all above info. Much appreciated!