Shower screen too big! Suite suppleid by Jacuzzi...

I just bought a bathroom suite from Focus, the one with the p-shaped shower bath and curved shower screen. We pre-measured everything except the height! The screen is too tall for our humble bathroom by

1/2". We can't lower the bath any more because of the height of the side panel. That clips underneath the edge of the bath rather than sliding up inside the edge. Any ideas welcome, perhaps someone knows a way to cut the screen down? It is about 1/2" thick acryllic and curved!

Also has anyone else had problems with suites supplied by Jacuzzi. We've had plenty including missing parts, broken parts, poor packaging methods. They've been great at following up our complaints butunfortunately won't replace the screen as it was not their fault, I should have measured up!

Reply to
Slymo

Plasterboard ceiling?

If so, then cut a matching slot in the ceiling, stick the top of the screen in it and then make good round the edges. That should keep the top of the screen nice and firm!

If you were going to cut it, then I would suggest a good jigsaw on slow speed with a fine toothed blade. A layer of masking tape on the surface first to stop the sole plate leaving scratches, and use a rip fence to follow the top edge so you get a nice straight line. Once cut clean off any rough edges with some wet'n'dry.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you can drop the bath feet 1/2in then I'd trim the bottom edge of the surround rather than the top if possible, it's normally less noticeable.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Reply to
Slymo

A width guide for cutting parallel to an edge.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not all jigsaws can use them, and even then you often need to buy the fence separately. Axminster sell a Makita fence that may fit other jigsaws.

usual alternative would be to cut along a batten to get a straight edge. That is complicated in your case because of the curve in the screen. You may find that a thinish strip of wood could be bent to the same shape however if you clamped it at both ends.

Reply to
John Rumm

Easier to make a quick jig than try to use a batten on a curve, I'd have thought. Just a bit of ply or MDF, drill hole for blade, screw jigsaw to top, attach a straight strip of something underneath to desired width of cut.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I cut a curved bath panel, removing about an inch at the bottom, by marking a line with a permenant marker on front side, applying clear selotape both sides, scoring with a sharp knife along required line (front side only) and cutting with a fret saw with a fine blade. Tooks ages with no breakages or cracks or chips but then it only need to be done once, but once correctly. Could have used a jigsaw with a fine blade, but that would have required cutting from the back of the pannel to prevent chipping but that would have been difficult to get the saw in due to the curve of the panel.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

That's going to take a while with half inch acrylic :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Slymo writes

I have that, a Jacuzzi J-Twin. It's great.

Can't you rip out the ceiling and install a new one? Seems a shame to hack about a nice suite.

?? My screen is glass.

The seal between the two halves of our sliding curved glass screen failed. Jacuzzi cheerfully sent out a free replacement, *very* well packed.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson