Shave/plane glass?

OK here's the situation. I've moved in to a flat, and just outside the flat is some kind of contraption that makes a lot of noise. I think it may be a generator for air conditioning. There's a shop downstairs, and I think it's theirs. I can't make any alterations to the flat in any way, because I'm just renting, and I'll be gone in about 5 months time, so I want a quick and easy "solution".

The existing double glazing looks cheap and nasty. My "bodge job" approach to this problem was to buy 3 sheets of thick lamenated glass, and simply wedge them inside the inner window area, so that they sit on top of the window sill, a little bit like secondary glazing. Luckily, there's a kind of perimeter ridge area within this inner window area, where I can lean the sheets of glass against. But because the glass sheets are fractionally too tall, there's not enough room for me to wedge them between the window sill at the bottom, and the top part of the inner window area.

If I can't economically get 1mm shaved off the sheets, I could try a different approach. But plan B is even more mad than the above plan A. I could get a wood plane, and shave off about 1mm of the front window sill area! That would allow me to get the 3 sheets of glass wedged in and propped up inside the inner window area. However, this will cause one significant problem: after planing the front part of the window sill wood (the area which is furthest away from the existing double glazing), the entire window sill wood area will get 2 height levels. One level will be lower (at the front where I want to prop up the glass), and one level will be 1mm higher (at the back, near where the existing glazing is.) So, you'll see a "ridge" where these 2 levels meet. Could I sand that ridge down, to kind of merge the 2 levels, so it won't be noticeable? Of course, I'll need to repaint the window sill where I have used the wood plane. The flat is a bit of a dump, and I doubt whether the owner cares about this... I suppose the worst that could happen is I'll either get a deduction on my flat rental deposit, or I'll get sectioned for being a loon.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

So you don't want to reduce the thickness of the glass by 1mm, you simply want to cut the glass so that it fits inside the opening?

Any glazier should be able to do that for you.

Although you're going about things in a weird way IMO. Normally one makes a frame to fit inside the window reveal and has the glass cut to fit the frame. the reason for this being that it makes it easier to open the window if necessary and that the frame can easily be adjusted to take up any uneveness in the wall.

Or am I misunderstanding you again?

Reply to
Steve Firth

want to cut the glass so that it fits inside the opening?

[ ... (snip) ]

A-ha! No, you're correct. That's all I want to do. The glass is

10.8mm thick, and that's perfect - just what I need. The problem is that the height of the glass (848mm) is fractionally too tall. If I could reduce this height dimension to 847mm, it would then fit snugly inside the inner window recess area.

Problem solved perhaps? I'll ring the glazing shop tomorrow morning, and report back with their answer+price. Thanks.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

I'd shave the sills and then fill the gap with polyfiller just before you move out and paint over it. No one will ever know.

Reply to
Dave Baker

" I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of the sides. Is this possible?"

That's what he said in his original post ...

Reply to
geoff

Sure. But to me, and apparently Steve, that meant make the glass 1mm

*thinner* not 1mm *shorter*. If he meant shorter why dint he say shave 1mm off oner *edge*? Eh? Eh?

Klods need to learn to express therselves proper like.

Reply to
Tim Streater

OP; "I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall."

Seemed simple enough to me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Tim Streater writes

A side is a side, a face is a face

seemed pretty clear to me

Reply to
geoff

rpgs rock dvds has brought this to us :

Are you sure the noise is air-borne? A/C's are often mounted on outside walls and the vibration could be travelling through the wall, rather that noise through the window.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

and the vibration could be travelling through the wall, rather that noise through the window.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. The A/C unit (if that's what it is) is mounted on the outside flat wall, and it's fairly likely the noise will be travelling through the wall. However, the cheap n nasty double glazing does appear to be one weak link in the flat, sound wise. There's nothing I can do about the vibration, but if the secondary glazing plan works and cuts down the noise by a quarter or a third, then that'll be good enough. I hope.

I was at the flat today at about 7 AM. I wonder why the downstairs shop needs it running on Sunday morning? There was no one there. This thing makes a noise for about 30 seconds, then stops. 4-5 minutes later, the same thing happens. Again and again... I've been at the flat during work day hours, and the thing makes a louder sound for longer periods.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

Driven and played with cars for more years than I can remember, and even seen the 'horse collar' and facial laceration injuries caused by the *early* laminated and toughened glass - but I have *NEVER* seen a combination of both - what's the purpose of that then?

Surely toughened glass is designed to shatter and safely fall away when broken - and laminated glass when brokenn is designed to break and stay in one piece to prevent injuries such as 'horse collar' - and a such a hybrid to my thoughts at the moment is

Please supply your link to this - as I consider your information to be incorrect.

Certainly not a glazier, but I have worked with glass over many years as part of my job - as for "cockwitted", then there seems to be a touch of "saucepan calling the kettle black" - especially from the "incompetence" of many of your replies in the various groups you post in.

BTW, if you're going to google for a link, try looking at Tufflam - but this is a structural glass (used in flooring etc) with the properties that you describe and not generally used in domestic or motoring situations.

Now don't forget to post your link

Falco

Reply to
Falco

And you consider yourself to be the "intelligent one" ROTFL.

I thought it was obvious from the first post of this thread that the glass was oversize in height or width (or both). And you called me *cockwitted*, shakes head and sighs! *eg*

Reply to
Falco

No, you were talking about taking glass off the *side*. To me a pane of glass (in a window) has two sides, the inside and the outside. And four edges.

And Steve (IIRC) was saying that to do what (he thought) you wanted would be akin to grinding a telescope mirror. And that appeared to me to be entire consistent with what you'd asked for.

Anyhow, just chew a bit off the edge and you'll be fine.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Likely, with the shop door open or opening frequently it will need to do more work. Might be worth having a word with the shop owner and asking if they might be prepared to turn it off when they are closed, or add a time clock - it would save them quite a lot in their bills if it were.

Vibration in the outer wall, will pass straight through to the inner via the wall ties if it is a cavity wall.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or spoil the food if it is a refridgeration system and not an aircon unit:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Which would be my guess too - and explain why it runs 24 hours, but works harder in the day when they open the fridge door.(1)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I already have.

Whoop-de-do, some anonymous troll has delusions of competence. Should I be concerned? ... No.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bullshit Steve.

Talk to a glass laminator and they might (if they can be arsed to talk to know-it-all f****it #3 round here) why you can't have toughened in a lamination.

If you find a way of doing this, there's a market calling out for it. If you think you can do it with a cold adhesive laminate then there's already a market for that, but it's no use to man nor beast as it looks bad and it has no more strength than plain toughened.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Aye Steve, but a tenner to anyone else would be a quote for =A3150 to an oil magnate like you.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No it's not, Dingleberry.

I've already posted one URL from a laminator who will provide toughened glass laminations. Here's another URL explaining how toughned glass is used in laminated windscreens.

will also find that it's mandatory to use toughened glass in European (CE marked) windscreens to reduce facial lacerations in the event of someone's facing impacting the inner surface of the windscreen.

Here's the URL I provided earlier that it appears you, and other fuckwits like you couldn't be bothered to read:

Steve Firth