Sewer pipe encased in concrete?

While removing earth from my rockery in preparation for building some steps I have come across a large chunk of concrete. This is unfortunately in the way and I would like to move it. But I have a feeling it could be a sewer pipe encased in concrete, does this sound right?

It is on the same alignment between my inspection cover and my neighbours. Strangely the concrete is above the level of the lawn but about 0.75 meters below the path outside my patio doors. Maybe this is the reason it is protected in concrete? Or are all sewer pipes built this way?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

Its not unusual to have ridding points in concrete, but not usually pipes.

It may be an old junction that has been concreted over and covered.

By all means break it up, but be prepared to have to repair the sewer afterwards. Its not THAT big a deal though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could well be. Houses where I live built mid 60's have concrete encased sewer pipes where these are near to the surface but uncased pipes in the subsoil where they were deeper When I built a rear extension over the sewer around 1984 I was required to encase the sewer which was more than a metre down in concrete under the extension (a later extension in 1991 required the rerouted storm water pipes to be surrounded by pea gravel)

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Interesting as our house is 1960's. I'm going to redesign the steps to compensate for it.

Reply to
Graham Jones