Leaking microwave?

Hi,
I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.
The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for 19.99 from Argos.
Cheers!
Martin
Hi,
I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.
The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for 19.99 from Argos.
Cheers!
Martin
other than encasing the microwave in lead, there is noway you are gonna keep all the microwaves in. If the microwave is undamaged, then it will be ok to use.
Steve
Hi,
I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.
I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you. Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)
woodglass

Then you would be a polyorchid. Personally I would worry more about having less than two.
Adam
On 2007-04-13 20:36:11 +0100, "ARWadsworth"

Didn't you know?
Most people have three....
Hi,
I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.
The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for 19.99 from Argos.
Cheers!
Martin
The crackles are probably coming from the motor which drives the turntable.
You are probably safe enough!
(borrow a microwave detector from your local secondary school if you are really worried)
John.

Bluetooth works in exactly the same frequency band as microwave ovens (around 245 GHz). Bluetooth uses extremely low power, so any minute radiation from the oven (running at ca. 1kW?) will very likely overload a nearby Bluetooth device. I wouldn't worry.
--
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:04:12 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Yep, I wondered if anyone else would say that. In fact I'm rather disappointed that this wasn't one of the first comments but I guess people just don't know how things work these days.
With 1kW of 2.4GHz RF about even -60dB of leakage is 1W which is roughly 100 times that of a Bluetooth device. Oh and the 1W of leakage is nothing to worry about, your mobile phone will pump out 1W of RF and you hold that right next to your brain...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

But the 900MHz/1800MHz of a mobile phone doesn't have much interaction with your brain and most of the 1W just passes through. The 1W from a microwave is absorbed by the brain (to a depth of 2-3cm IIRC).
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:21:35 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Try telling the newspapers that. B-)

2.4GHz is one of the resonant frequencies of the water molecule, which is how a microwave oven works.
What ever, 1W of RF at 0.9/1.8/2.4GHz at a few feet isn't going to hurt you.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice said the following on 15/04/2007 00:21:

I thought that as well, but apparently not, according to Wikipedia:
"A microwave oven works by passing microwave radiation, usually at a frequency of 2.45 GHz (a wavelength of 12.24 cm), through the food. Water, fat, and other substances in the food absorb energy from the microwaves in a process called dielectric heating. Many molecules (such as those of water) are electric dipoles, meaning that they have a positive charge at one end and a negative charge at the other, and therefore rotate as they try to align themselves with the alternating electric field induced by the microwaves. This molecular movement creates heat as the rotating molecules hit other molecules and put them into motion. Microwave heating is most efficient on liquid water, and much less so on fats and sugars (which have less molecular dipole moment), and frozen water (where the molecules are not free to rotate).
Microwave heating is sometimes explained as a rotational resonance of water molecules, but this is incorrect: such resonance only occurs in water vapour at much higher frequencies, at about 20 gigahertz. Moreover, large industrial/commercial microwave ovens operating at 915 MHz also heat water and food perfectly well. [1]"
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:13:45 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

Exactly. People expect all these 'wireless' gadgets, such as Bluetooth, 802.11 LANs, all sorts of remote controls such as garage door openers, house alarms, videosenders, 'walkie-talkies' and so on, to happily coexist within a narrow uncoordinated frequency band...
The worst offenders are the broadband devices such as microwave ovens and videosenders (often several MHz bandwidth).
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Our new and in good condition Phillips microwave used to *flatten* reception on the ordinary analogue telly we had in the kitchen.
Don't worry about it.
DG

That does sound rather serious!..

Well..
I saw some vegetables that had been partially rotted when left for a few days next to a real leaky microwave.. but that was a rather old one..
Yes they can leak..
But as stated bloo-tooth uses the 2.4 band as well as a lot of other devices and there is going to be some radiation, but I rather doubt that its going to cause you to suffer your molecules to alter;)
--
Tony Sayer

Well they shouldn't have put the telly in the microwave.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Martin Pentreath wrote:

I understand your worry, why not just move away when it is on. I won't stand in front of mine.
Graham
On 13 Apr 2007 11:40:35 -0700, "Martin Pentreath"

clean the door. Apparently this can cause problems if its dirty... rent or hire or borrow a microwave detector or pop it to the microwave repair centre if they still exist...) but for instant peace of mind 20 quid gets you a new one.
--
http://wwww.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Martin Pentreath wrote

Aldi have a Draper microwave tester / screwdriver / continuity checker in this week (from 12th onwards). 2.99
Or I'm pretty sure that B&Q sell them for 1.99, but they are a no-name brand with screwdriver blade of terrible quality.
-- -blj-

Both high reliability solutions. Light doesn't come on so it must be OK.