separately switched two-bulb light fittings

Hello,

Whilst browsing the excellent wiki faq, I found a "fear of the dark" entry that reads:

"For small children, a 3w CFL bathroom light left on can make life easier for them. This can be fitted either as a separate fitting, or a bathroom globe type light taking 2 bulbs"

Are there such things are two-bulb, separately-switched, fittings or do you have to modify them yourself?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I think it would be easier, and maybe a little safer, to install a separate light fitting to take the lower wattage lamp. And also allow new cabling to a light switch lower down the wall for the child to reach. It's not impossible to do. A light fitting that has room for two lampholders inside, could quite easily be modified I suppose.

What I think is the most simple way to do it, is purchase a plugin or battery night light. Or a torch that the child can actually carry around and play detective with, might be even better. :-)

BigWallop

Stephen presented the following explanation :

I can't think where (Aldi/Lidl?), but I have seen low wattage CFL's which plug directly into a 13amp socket - fairly similar to the smelly units.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

B&Q, Homobase sell them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

if it's a 3 watt lamp it's probably cheaper to leave it on 24 hours than to wire in a switch!

BigWall>> Hello,

george (dicegeorge)

I didn't think you were allowed 13 amp sockets in bathrooms! Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Stephen:

Hello,

Whilst browsing the excellent wiki faq, I found a "fear of the dark" entry that reads:

"For small children, a 3w CFL bathroom light left on can make life easier for them. This can be fitted either as a separate fitting, or a bathroom globe type light taking 2 bulbs"

Are there such things are two-bulb, separately-switched, fittings or do you have to modify them yourself?

Thanks, Stephen.

++++++

I've come across them at times, mainly as historic light fittings and unpretty facilities fittings. Fitting a 2nd holder into an existing fitting is probably a more likely path, mainly in ceiling mounted drum lights etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222