Secondary Glazing

Happy New Year to all ;)

I have ally dg installed, 4mm gap. Some units are blown which will be replaced like for like. Been toying with the idea of secondary dg and have been bamboozled by some of the stuff out there.

Anyone got this secondary dg stuff unstalled? Does it work?? Recommendations??? All sensible advice / comments sought ;)

tia

Reply to
Jet

My wife had Everest secondary glazing in the flat she used to own. It was on a busy main road, and the glazing made a huge difference to the single-glazed wooden sash windows, in terms of sound insulation. It's hard to say whether it helped with keeping heat in, because the family beneath very generously overheated their flat, warming our home nicely.

The only niggle I had with the windows was that cleaning involved 4 faces of glass rather than just 2, and accessing all surfaces can be quite fiddly, particularly when you might fall on top of a bus from the window ledge...

Ewan

Reply to
Ewan MacIntyre

Given a choice I'd avoid it. The SO's town house in St Albans had it and so does this place. It's a PITA. It stops proper air flow in the summer if you want to open the windows and suffers horrendous condensation on the outside glass in the gap during the winter, indeed for quite a lot of the year. Almost non stop damp doesn't do timber frames any good at all...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He's got aluminium frames so no problem with the damp. To stop the damp you leave the secondary open enough to vent when the weather is not so cold. Clean it by lifting it out of the frame once every couple of months or so.

How is the damp getting in there anyway? It sounds like your home is badly aired. Most people should get by with a bag of silica gel or some such for the occasional long damp spell. Then dry the bag out in the oven.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Tried that does help but doesn't cure it. And still leaves more than enough damp in the gap for when the weather gets cold, ie from late Oct to early May. We haven't seen more than 5C since the 27th Dec with a guesstimated mean of about -1 or -2C since then.

Combination of from the inside and through the rotten external frames. Oh and if it rains and blows at the same time it gets driven around the vents. Some vents have draft proofing but that doesn't stop it squirting through the corner joins...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like it's been time to replace your windows for a while.

It beats me why they insist on putting vents in windows. What's the point of getting state of the art triple glazing with bells and whistles if they insist on leaving sodding gurt oles int plackie? The whole idea of wall transparencies is that they kept to the original concept of having holes in the wall without the obvious deficiency.

-Getting around that by putting them on hinges.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Yes, since we moved in... B-)

"Windows" are the whole caboodle. "vents" are the bits that open on hinges. "trickle vents" are to provide background ventilation in what would otherwise be a hermetically sealed box, not good for the occupants or the building.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

From a convenience point of view we would be only to pleased to get rid of ours, looks awful, makes it difficult to open windows in summer, additional place for dirt to collect.

Michael Chare