Sealing up a gasfire

I have two opinions from two gasmen concerning this problem :

I'm having a gas fire fitted. One guy says he will seal the back with metal plate against the brick wall present with heat-proof sealant, an the other guy says he would never use that but would use heat-proo cement.

Which is better? I need to know soon please

-- s99raj

Reply to
s99raj

Id need to know more about your gas fire...NAME..TYPE..GC number

If its a fire with a (back plate) then it is normal practice to sea the plate to the wall surface with heat resistant tape....If the wal surface makes it impossible for the tape to stick then DO NOT CEMEN the plate to the wall as this is non approved....Buy a chrome trim fo a catchment opening and cement that to the opening...then use the tap to seal the back plate...

The back plate must be removed every time the fire is service

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

It's a Valor Homeflame, and the GC number is 3281038

-- s99raj

Reply to
s99raj

and, by the way, the wall is a bumpy (i.e. not at all smooth) bric

type

-- s99raj

Reply to
s99raj

smooth off the wall....use the chrome trim or something like it....sea the back plate with tape.......as per the manufactures instructio

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

The bricks are really hard and it would take me AGES to smooth them dow

and I 'd rather not do that.

What I really want to know is whether just tape is OK to seal the meta plate with or should I use silicon.

Thank you

-- s99raj

Reply to
s99raj

have a look at this web site

at Brass Effect Fire Trim 400mm

this can be cemented to your fireplace opening....the tape will stic to this..

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec