scrap steel / cast iron

I have two tonnes of this on a job I am doing at the mo - that is to say, I have been charged with getting rid of all rubbish, scrap included, so I offered to keep the scrap and get a mini skip at the end to get shut of the reminder of rubbish (bricks, rubble and general s**te) at no cost to the main contractor and he agreed. Obviously all copper and brass are here at my home, being carefully seperated so as to maximise profit to me, but the steel and scrap cast iron are proving to be a bit of a headache...I know a few travelling 'scrappies' who I usually ring if there's an old bath or bit of guttering to shift, but I'm loath to let them see this lot as they'd obviously refuse to pay anything, then come back at night and be away on their toes with the lot. What price am I likely to get for it if I take it 1/2 tonne at a time to reputable scrappy? Who would i ring to come and pick it up, and would their callout fee be so astronomical that I would end up with nothing?

What do?

Reply to
Phil L

says around 160gbp/tonne for "light iron", which is about the lowest grade. I've weighed in real rubbish - rusty corrugated sheets, chicken wire, old exhaust systems - that sort of stuff, as light iron. If you can separate cast iron, you'll get a bit more.

That's delivered to the yard, of course, which is not the most pleasant of ways to spend a morning. At the one I use, I just chuck it out of the trailer onto the ground, while damn great magnetic grabs spray debris everywhere. A closed skip lorry rolled a fridge into the side of my trailer on one visit and broke a light. "You're here at your own risk", said a chappy who I didn't really want to pick a fight with. No idea how much less you get if they collect - it suits me to fill my trailer then take it to them.

Reply to
Kevin

The only slight bit of info I can give you, is we scraped an old ideal mexico of my mates recently - most of the weight (100kg) was cast iron - some steel and other bits, £26...

so on that basis, 2000kg ought to be pushing £500

Reply to
John Rumm