Scout hut drive - road planings

Hi folks,

need some help!

We are planning to resurface the drive down to the Scout Hut and we are thinking of using road planings. So, how thick do they need to be, how to we lay/compact them and will they be suitable for driving on?

Many thanks

Reply to
John

Absolute minimum 3", best case over 6". Best laid out with a wide ditching bucket on a digger, then 'tracked in' using the diggers tracks. Heavier digger the better and needs to have steel tracks not rubber. When nice and compacted by the digger (many traverses both up and down the track and side to side), then finish with a vibrating roller. Twin roller is much easier to get a flat surface than with a single. The naughty ones water the surface with red diesel before using the roller, it softens the tar so the surface binds well, not one for the environmentalists though.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I thought the tracks were there to lower the surface loading of the digger.. making the loading much lower than you get with a car on its four hand sized tyre areas. you would get more pressure using the back of the bucket than the tracks.

Reply to
dennis

message

Back of the bucket is the way to spread them arround, but belive me, the steel tracks on a 22 ton digger are the best way to compact them before rolling. The rear of the bucket tends to smear the planings, moving then somewhat unlike the tracks that give a nice downwards squash. Still need the roller mind. Don't bother using a light digger - waste of time.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson