Rotten egg smell in bedroom

Just to follow the subject, I've got something the same in the kitchen. Sometimes. Does smell like drains to me. The kitchen drain goes into the main drainage via a u bend outside which has a drain above it for the patio. So smells can't really come up via that. I have an outside loo in the corner where the smell is most obvious - when it happens - but check there is water in the u bend. It's not much used apart from in the summer. Next door had an outside loo which backs onto mine - but had the toilet removed and their boiler fitted in there. The builders who did all this were related to The Lone Ranger...

I wondered just how well they capped things up after removing the loo - but next door say they haven't got a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used to visit a house weekly as part of my job and often I got a whiff of what I thought was a smell of a drain by the front door. It turned out to be a leaking gas pipe.

Reply to
Dave-UK

No gas pipe nearby. It's very definitely most obvious in one corner of the room. And I'm pretty confident about the condition of my gas pipes. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was thinking more of next door, who had a (gas?) boiler fitted, in their outside loo which backs onto yours where the smell is strongest.

Reply to
Dave-UK

My thinking is it's a bit intermittent for that. And smells more like a sewer than gas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , matthelliwell writes

We had that in our 1930's house and being no DIY expert I just offer this as a suggestion but it turned out to be the Bakelite type fixture on the bedroom light. It ponged awful.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Thanks for everyone's replies.

No bakelite in the room in the room though the smell seems to have decreased recently for some undetermined reason. No doubt it will stay away until we have guests.

Reply to
matthelliwell

Not rotten eggs but a distinctly sewerey pong whenever hot water was flushed down a kitchen sink.

This was a flat conversion involving a very long waste run from the sink to an internal soil stack. I think we have mentioned before the effect of *horizontal* waste pipes! In this case, the pong was travelling up the boxing of the soil stack so presumably the problem started in the basement.

The landlord, occupying the basement, could not be persuaded to seek professional help so some expanding foam was quietly introduced to the boxing.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb