Rising damp (or lack of)

Afternoon all,

We had a purchase on our house fall through as the chap who did the homebuy ers survey recommended that a damp proof course be installed as there were signs of rising damp in both the reception rooms. Buyer had a major panic at the quotes to get this done and pulled out.

Now as far as I can tell there are no signs whatsoever of rising damp on ei ther the interior or exterior walls, the interior plaster is bone dry. The re was penetrating damp in one of the bedrooms but that was solved by repla cing the knackered wooden windows.

I?m assuming the surveyor found damp using one of those damp meter device s, so to come to the point, how should I proceed with this with the view of getting it sorted so the next buyer doesn?t get the same issue raised by their surveyor? I?m rather adverse to spending money for something that I really don?t think needs doing!

Thanks

DrLargePants

Six quid buys you "one of those damp meter devices".

Sure, his is probably flasher/bigger/betterer. But he's using it day in, day out, and you'll hopefully only use it once. That will tell you if there really is some sogginess in the walls. After that, your guess is as good as his as to why - possibly better, since you know the house better.

Reply to
Adrian

I'll give that a go thanks. I did get a DPC company in to have a look with predictable results...

Reply to
DrLargePants

[...]

Rising damp: it's all lies!

Try googling : rising damp myth

Here's an example:

mark

Reply to
mark

I hear what you're saying, but if it keeps coming up on the survey what can I do?

Reply to
DrLargePants

What I just did. We're selling my M-I-L's house and the conversation went like this;

Buyer; It's got damp. Us; No it hasn't. Buyer; Oh, OK. Exchange next week?

Reply to
Huge

Check for the usual culprits, leaking gutters etc. Fix something even if it doesn't need it, a new bit of guttering or resealing around a window etc.

Buy a dehumidifier, run that in the rooms of concern, for days if necessary.

Remove any bracket fungus from walls.

Deny you have rising damp, you had a leaking gutter/ window seal and you've had it fixed. Point at repair.

It's all a game, play it. Next your buyer will say, our buyer can't raise enough money, they are 12,000 short, will you meet us half way?

mark

Reply to
mark

The problem may well be condensation, far more common. There is no way of telling if a damp patch is rising damp or condensation, you have to inferr it. They often ocurr in the same places. Condensation needs a source of water (cooking with no cooker hood etc) and poor ventilation. So you need to fix these problems if you have them .. And you need to get rid of any blackmopuld marks. Bleach and then an algicide fromthe buildersmerchant.

Reply to
harryagain

My understanding is that a damp meter measures electrical characteristics of the wall and can give a "damp" reading even when it's not damp due to salts in the wall (which might have been caused by previous dampness but might not).

Reply to
Murmansk

the wall and can give a "damp" reading even when it's not damp due to salts in the wall (which might have been caused by previous dampness but might not).

The meters arent designed to measure damp in masonry at all. To pretend they were able to would be a bit optimistic. A finger across the terminals is too common.

There's also a difference between damp and a damp problem. All walls contain some moisture, the levels depending on construction details, finish, microclimate etc. Its only a problem if its causing mould, rot, repeated or persisting condensation etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've never understood why banks/building societies are obsessed with rising damp.

Reply to
stuart noble

It's not all untrue. RD does exist, but nothing like to the extent the RD industry makes out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Theyre not, theyre obsessed with covering their arse every which way. If they had more skill onboard they'd have their own person that would follow up such reports to see if they had any real validity.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nope they just pulled out (I suspect they had other issues tbh)

The survey had so many inaccuracies in it I actually did wonder if they'd been to the right house.

The one which made me laugh was the diatribe about the amount of wallpaper on the walls and ceilings, guess what ...?

Reply to
DrLargePants

That's the thing, there are no indications whatsoever of damp rising, falling, penetrating or otherwise !

Reply to
DrLargePants

been to the right house.

r on the walls and ceilings, guess what ...?

ling, penetrating or otherwise !

I'd be inclined to provide potential buyers with a letter from yourself lis ting the inaccuracies you've spotted, saying you've reexamined the areas in question and can find nothing whatever that aligns with what the survey cl aims. And perhaps saying you wonder if the surveyor was drunk.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Gave this a go out of interest. In the current climate, front room doesn't register at all.

Meter goes mad on the party wall up to a height of around one meter, apart from that nothing again.

Any thoughts ?

Reply to
DrLargePants

A plumbing leak. Unlikely to be anything else in this weather

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes. It's measuring electrical conductivity, not moisture.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps they like Miss Jones?

:-)