Ring main power problem

Doing up my kitchen and have extende an existing ring main to add a couple of sockets. I have checked and double checked all the wiring at the sockets, have checked continuity all the way round the ring, between each socket and end to end at the CU, but when I power up I get nothing at the socket - I'm testing simply by plugging a lamp in. Have also tried using another MCB at the CU - same story. Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

Thanks,

Reuben_D

Have you really extended the ring? Have you broken in to it and made the circle bigger or have you just put a spur on to the ring?

Do all the original sockets still work?

If you really do have solid connections, and continuity does not necessarily mean the connection is solid, from your new sockets back to the CU then, assuming the new sockets are correctly wired (L,N and E), and the connection is secure (a poor connection could indicate continuity but stll fail under even a slight load) I would suggest a problem with your test equipment. Is the lamp correctly and adequately connected to the plug? Is the bulb good? Is the bulb making good contact in the lamp holder?

Reply to
Old Codger

Knackered socket, or switch on it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Using a volt tester on the screw terminals on the back of the socket will identify a knackered outlet on a working circuit.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

You are not clamping the insulation in the terminal I take it? If you have to ask at this level can we be sure you have used the correct size cable etc?

Reply to
cynic

Your lamp is knackered.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

You said that you added a "couple" of sockets but you do not have power to "the" socket. So does that mean you added one double socket or more than one double socket?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You're not giving the level of detail needed to answer that.

- Exactly how were they wired to the ring circuit

- what are you using to test continuity

- what have you cheked & how to eliminate the possibilities?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I see.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Reuben_D writes

Have you checked continuity on the neutral?

Reply to
hugh