Replacing Water Tank

My old Galvanised water tank in my loft really needs replacing - is there anything stopping me draining this down, putting some thick chipboard on top and then placing a poly 50 gallon tank on top of it - or should I consider ditching the galvanised tank as a matter of course?

If you aren't feeling the pinch at the moment, consider changing your hot water system to being mains pressurised, so you don't even need the tank. Obviously, this won't be the cheapest option, but will provide a better system (assuming your mains supply is up to it).
As for putting the new tank on the old, I would doubt very much that the tank could support that sort of weight. Most tanks rely on their contents to maintain their stability. With the galvanised tank empty, I wouldn't be surprised if the walls were likely to collapse.
Christioan.

In what way will it provide a better system? It might release space, but this clearly isn't at a premium. And then you lose the benefit of near constant water flow and, of course, a store in the event of a mains failure.
--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

It provides better flow and pressure (assuming the mains supply is good). I can assure you that my parent's system was transformed when they replaced a traditional gravity flow hot water system with a Megaflo.
I'd rather a flow rate that varies between 40-80 litres per minute rather than provides a steady 15 litres per minute.
Christian.

Could well be, but there are many variables.

If you're only getting a flow of 15 litres a minute from a storage system, something is very wrong.
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Unfortunately, that has been my experience with gravity storage systems. I fixed a 25lpm flow rate problem in my last house with a pump. My parents solved their 15lpm issue with the Megaflo. The problem is that the couple of metres head that is typical with these systems can't squeeze enough water through the convoluted pipe runs that are frequently involved. The pipes are normally capable of doing the flow, provided they are pushed. That needs good pressure, from a pump, or from the mains. A 50 gallon tank just above the bathroom just doesn't cut it.
Christian.

Well, nothing is a substitute for poor installation. But forcing water round convoluted runs will end up with a noisy system.
--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

If you've the room, and it's structurally sound, a bit of extra head always comes in handy...
--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Quigs) wrote:
Hello Quigs

Good idea - /if/ it's strong enough. If it ain't, some timber bracing inside the old one ought to see it right?
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
(Quigs) wrote:

Rather you than me. Take an angle grinder to the old iron one to get it out.