Replacement Wooden Back Door

Hi Folks

I'm looking to replace my back door, I need something fairly secure (sad sign of the times I'm afraid) but it needs a large window as the room would be unacceptably dark, the existing door window is about 40% of the door area (large single pane in the top section). I thought I'd found the one I wanted in the Wickes Catalogue (Mayfair) but it's out of stock and no longer available.

Anybody any ideas of where I could get soething similar, it needs to be:

Wooden (Mahogany finish to match window frames) Single large pane window (double glazed with mottled effect for privacy) Secure

Any ideas much appreciated I'm in the North West so something local would be better though if it's what I want I'll have it shipped.

Regards

Terry

Reply to
Terry Pin

Look in the Magnet, Jewson and Jen-Wen/Boulton & Paul catalogues.

Or made to order by local carpenter.

You might want to ask you local council about any requirement to comply with L1 Building regulations. Or go to

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Soup just had to say

Probably a blind alley but we recently had a new back door fitted single, double glazed, mottled, window unit and it has 'cams' that engage when door handle is pushed up (makes it so strong on the open side that it would actually be easier smashing the hinge side. Unfortunately the door is a sort of plastic~metal composite with a moulded in 'painted wood' finish but seem to remember you could get it in a mahogany finish.

Reply to
Soup

I've been happy with the doors made by Boulton & Paul, which are sold by Travis Perkins builders' merchants. If you want decent security, you need to use laminated glass in the window. For a half-glazed front door, a local glazier made me up a custom double glazed unit, with 6mm laminated glass on the outside and obscured glass on the inside. However, it was a while ago and I now forget the cost. The door should be at least 44mm thick and hung on a pair and a half (i.e. three) of 100mm high steel or brass hinges. It should lock either with two mortice locks, set at 1/3 and 2/3 of the door height, or with a multi-point lock. The lock should be at least six pins if a cylinder lock, or at least five levers, if a conventional key lock.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar