Repairing nick in 2.5mm cable

People like this make me worry that we will get Part P in Scotland...

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

OK ideally the entire cable should be replaced, but a new section & 2 boxes sounds a lot safer than wrapping the bloody thing in tape!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

So by your theory, in a DC circuit, the surfaces won't rub together at

50 Hz as it's direct current, therefore a loose connection in a DC circuit can't get hot - except of course it does as anybody who'se ever fixed electricla faults on cars can tell you.
Reply to
Roly

Agreed!

Two sets of connections place of none represents an additional two possible locations for fault conditions to exist. So long as the actual conductor is not damaged then electrically the unbroken cable will be "safer" from an electrical heating POV. The issue that then remains is adequately insulating it to ensure there is no possibility of the exposed conductor posing either a shock, short circuit, or leakage risk.

Reply to
John Rumm

Better yet get a couple of socket testers (Maplin have them for =A33.99).

Not only will you get a much better test (such as missing earth or L/N swapped that would still allow the socket to function) but anyone watching will be more impressed than seeing you plug in a night-light (even if you only impress SWMBO it's worth it!)

Reply to
Sadly

Rubbish. Quick splice in of 1 junction box (with 3 in line connectors), and you'd only need to cut the earth, the main conductors could stay in one piece as they run through.

Get 2 jags in to hold your hand though, to avoid part pee.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Aye, but can you use these testers to placate young kids that may be spooked at night?!

I suppose knowing that the socket is safe may make kids sleep better...

Mungo (now added a mains socket tester to his purchase list; hope Santa is watching :-)

Sincere thanks for the tip.

Reply to
mungoh

CPC even sell a nice version which also includes an 30mA RCD tester.

The one I got is similar in function to the above yet the earth leakage current can be varied between 10-250(?)mA however it looks like they don't sell it anymore.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton