Repairing ceiling plaster Board

I have recently moved into a chalet bungalow and the ceiling is in a real state. virtually every sheet of plaster board on the celing is cracked. This appears to be because no plaster board tape has been used at the joints. I was wondering if there is a tool available that will remove the plaster at the joints so that I can tape and replaster just the joint area, which would be easier than skimming the lot. Would a electric plane manage this ? Thanks
Steve Jones
Stephen Jones wrote:

Only if you want to kill the plane in very short order!
You may find a rigid paint scraper would be more suited - once you have got through the skim coat in one place you should be able to work your way along the joint removing more skim.
--
Cheers,

John.

snipped-for-privacy@scannex.co.uk (Stephen Jones) wrote in message

A stanley knife will do that, but I'm not saying it'll cut off the skim and leave the board, I expect it'll be messier than that, but as long as you remove anything loose, paint with pva to firm things up as a precaution, then apply your fibregass tape things should be OK.
A knife makes a pretty clean cut on PB - though not absolutely perfect - as long as its not waggled about sideways when cutting.
Regards, NT
[Repairing plasterboard joints]

I have the same problem and will try the suggestion. I did wonder about using a router to vee out the crack and then fill it, the same as a fibreglass crack would be repaired. Would be difficult to strengthen the back of the plasterboard though, but I suppose it could be nailed to the joist better?

This is a real hammer for such a simple nut. The normal action is to finger smear a little filler on the crack and rub it flat right away, with finger is easiest. End of problem.
Regards, NT