Removing veneer.

Any tips for removing damaged veneer from plywood prior to re-veneering?

Some of it simply peeled off like well soaked wall paper. Other bits are stuck hard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Belt sander. Chisel in corners afterwards.

Reply to
harryagain

Bit worried about damaging the plywood underneath.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was going to suggest the same thing. You obviously need a very flat surface to accept the new veneer. How big an area are you doing?

A belt sander on a stand, with a fine (rather than coarse) belt, and run slowly might do it - provided you've got a way of holding the object flat against the belt.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Try running a medium heat iron over it a few times and then use a thin scraper.

Reply to
fred

It's a large speaker cabinet. The top is 460 x 400mm. The sides 400 x 760. I might get away with not re-veneering the sides - but the top will definitely need to be.

Would have to be hand held, I'm afraid. Unless I try and find a workshop to do the job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Random orbit sander will be less aggressive and you will be able to see as you sand through the veneer by the colour change and then move off that area to one that is still covered. Dust extraction on the ROS should minimise the dust indoors.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Question Dave,

Do you know what glue has been used to hold the veneer?

If, with a bit of luck, it's the old 'scotch' type glue, then soaking the veneer with hot water will soften the glue and enable easy veneer removal.

If it's of the PVA or casien types, then as others have suggested, try using an orbital sander such as this from Wickes (as an example)

with a medium (80/100) grit to get to the base.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

A router sled jig is an easy way of taking a precise amount of material off a wide area.

John Rumm

I use an old steam iron - where the veneer is on with old bone glue - I am usually after the veneer to reuse.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

No. Dates from about the 70s/80s so I'd guess PVA?

Thanks. I've got a couple of orbital sanders.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite the reverse of what I want. It's the plywood I don't want to damage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless the speaker was made by a craftsman its highly unlikely that Scotch glue was used. If made in a production environment it would be either hot melt glue or an impact adhesive.

IME router sleds only work fine in theory. (Yes I have used them in an attempt to flatten a bench top. Did'nt work all that well. )

Get as much as you can off then have a go with a cabinet scraper. You're unlikely to do damage with it.

Something in the back of my mind says try acetone or methylated spirits. Keep dabbing it around the edges and it may lift it bit by bit.

Reply to
fred