Reinsforcing a crack in screed before tiling

The official bars are twisted square section IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

No need for texture. Strip/bar can be twisted, wire can be looped & tied, etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Monday 06 January 2014 20:01 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If they are being dropped into thin angle grinder slots, threaded bar would seem to be easier...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had to do something similar when extending a floating chipboard floor and just dropped countersunk screws into routed slots, then pouring fibreglass resin over to tie all together. I'm rather doubtful about this sort of strategy wrt a screed floor since the slightest movement will just break the tie out of the screed.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

So presumably an expansion joint would be a better idea?

Reply to
stuart noble

I will repeat once more with feeling. I solved this IDENTICAL problem once and for all and permanently simply by pouring half a gallon of PVA down the crack. And carried on pouring till no more would go, several times as it was absorbed into the screed. What it stick to what I have no idea, but stuck it sure did, and once tiled over, the load is spread across the crack anyway by the tiles.

It has never been an issue since.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One wonders whether the gallon of pva actually added anything? Or whether it was a non-problem in the first place...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Tuesday 07 January 2014 07:46 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Too late for that - there are underfloor heating pipes in the screed.

Also, a joint should not be necessary on such a small floor...

Reply to
Tim Watts

One doesn't wonder. One knows. an area of screed about 2 sq meters was cracked all round and rocked when you trod on it.

After pouring down the PVA it didnt.

I had up to 3mm gaps in the cracks.

I was laid over UFH pipes and polystyrene

Unlike some people I am talking from actual experience, not armchair theorising with not a single calculation to back any of it up.

I designed and project managed my own house. Have you done that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tuesday 07 January 2014 13:55 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Well, can't argue with that :)

I'll probably still put some ties in though - I'm like that (belt and braces)...

Designed the renovations (which were more or less back to shell).

Reply to
Tim Watts