Recessing elecric socket - please help!

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk says...

Ooh yes.. I've seen the effect of a big spanner dropped over 3 phase bus-bars. Since the spanner never touched both bars for more than a microsecond at a time, the very hefty fuse failed to scrifice itself for the good of the spanner. The spanner was turned into a spray of fine droplets until it became short enough to fail to bounce down on both bars. A JCB going through the main incomer cable for an industrial estate was fairly impressive too. There were large chunks missing from the digger bucket of the smoking JCB that was lying on its back some 40 feet from the hole. As it had been a fairly new digger, the rubber mats and insulation were still in place properly and the driver survived to hone his map-reading skills. The site I was involved with on that estate had a demonstration of why larger fuse carriers are enclosed in steel cabinets with some big outward dents in the doors of the cabinet where fuses had blown to bits and hit the casing.
Warwick -- has a friend called 'mains test Duncan'

the
the
the
And the moral of the story is "Never let a wrench use a spanner". I wonder if they still laugh about it in the pub. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

You'll need some of these to fit the size of your existing socket fronts:
http://www.3kw.co.uk/flush.html
http://www.somtech.co.uk/cable_grommets.htm ( the open one's )
Then you'll need one each of these:
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/exec/toolup/ECLBB4RG.html
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/exec/toolup/ESTEB32LB.html
Then some each of these:
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/exec/toolup/KEE29002.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Fixings_Index/Screws_1/index.html
And finally you'll need a lot of patience and time for marking out around the new back boxes with a pencil and then using the bolster and hammer to cut the hole into the wall to the depth you need.
If you make a diagram of the connections in the old boxes then make them the same when you've sunk the new boxes.
A word of WARNING. Make sure you have enough of the existing cable to reach the new positions of the sockets, and Make Sure You've Turned The Power "OFF" to the circuit you're working on.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com
Rebecca wrote:

I would respectfully suggest that while this is a straightforward but tedious job for an experienced DIYer, if you have no electrical knowledge and have not cut holes in brickwork with masonery chisels before, then it is probably not for you.