Re: sticking mdf to the ceiling!!!

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:40:24 +0100, "Kaptain Kremin"

That "previous reply" seems to have got lost in the post :)
Leastways, it hasn't appeared on my news feed yet.
If you are referring to putting the MDF up so that you can then add the coving afterwards (so as to create a platform for the cove to sit on), then why not use good old plasterboard as the platform? That will stick to the ceiling okay with coving whadyacallit, and the coving will stick to the plasterboard.
Plasterboard is also pretty easy to work with IMHO - a lot easier than MDF!
PoP

Oh the power of the Internet. Just as I'm pondering how to do this up pops the question. I too am planning of sticking MDF to the ceiling but as an alternative to coving not as a base to it. To be precise I want a stepped coving, echoing an art-deco style.
Simple ASCII art illustrates (fixed-pitch font required)
Ceiling _______________________________ w !____________________! a !________________! l !___! l ! !
I was going to make this up from three strips of 6mm MDF and crew the top strip to the ceiling and then use a contact adhesive to stick the lower two to that. I should stress that this is the plan and I have not tried it yet. Using plasterboard might be an option but I would need to finish the edges first.
Another plan was to make a suitable mould out of MDF and mould lengths of coving out of plaster of Paris strengthened with strips of cloth but haven't fully investigated this yet.
Alternatively does anyone know of a source of coving with this profile? Most that I have seen is either curved. Some of the more fancy mouldings do seem to be made out of timber, even in old houses so there must be some precedent for this sort of thing.
So, yes I understand what the OP is trying to do but have only just had the plastering finished so haven't tried it yet.
Andrew
andrew_d snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Andrew May) wrote:

making custom coving that way and it looked a lot of work and effort. Have you thought about using chipboard instead of mdf? it would be lighter and you could use standard systems to seal the edges.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

Looks interesting.

You might just come unstuck with contact glue (no pun intended). I wouldn't want to try and manipulate an 8' long piece of MDF over my head using such a one shot adhesive. PVA works fine and allows you the opportunity of sliding it about. It will fall straight back down however if you don't fix it to the anchored first board. I would just nail gun it up there. You're going to paint it anyway so no one will ever see that it was nailed at all. (I bought my nail gun because of coving - drove me nuts trying to stick it up there so I just went out and got one and nailed that sucker up there first time.)
Nice one gandalf a quality idea. Aha, just spoke to my brother who is a painter n decorator, convinced 'blobs' of 'no more nails' should work, mi old man recommended drilling a few countersunk holes and fixing maybe 6 points round the outside with plasterboard screws, along with glue.
Anyway my brother is coming over tomorrow night to give me a hand, so ill report back wether or not i still have a ceiling afterwards :o)

Looks good.

Have you tried http://www.simplymouldings.co.uk? Their SM57 Art Deco 3 Step coving at the bottom of this page http://www.simplymouldings.co.uk/cornices-05.htm might fit the bill exactly. Though I can't tell the size you are looking for from th picture.
Andrew