Re: Leaking bath seal

'm no expert Russell, but I've just fixed an identical problem, and

it seems to have worked so far.

I ripped out the old beadin strip and all the old sealant to start with and then, this is the important bit, filled the bath right up with water to weigh it down as much as possible.

The rest was just lots and lots of sealant (out of a gun). I filled in the space between the bath and the tiles/wall with loads of the stuff, then I used a line of sealant along the back of both fins of the beading (just like the stuff you used), and once that was in place i also did a thin spread of sealant over the edges of the fins.

It seems to be working?

Reply to
SadKate***

Oops, yeah, forgot to mention - I did that too. There's no visible gap between the strip and the bath whether it's full or empty.

Does this hold up OK under the movement of the bath? Is yours a plastic bath? How much does it move when you stand in it?

So you've fixed the strip to both the tiles and the bath? I'm loath to do this, because I can see any movement breaking the sealant. Have you noticed this happening on yours?

Thanks,

Russ

-- Russell Odom

** Remove the obvious before e-mailing **

To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

Reply to
Russell Odom

If you make sure it's very clean and use proper silicone, not B&Q's cheapo bath sealant, it will not pull away. That stuff will stretch a significant distance.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

OK, next question: how would I know if it's "proper"? The stuff I have sez "Flexibility factor is High", but looking at it closely I can't see any mention of the word "silicone". Anything else I should be looking out for? Good/bad brands, things to avoid?

Cheers,

Russ

-- Russell Odom

** Remove the obvious before e-mailing **

You live and learn, or you don't live long.

Reply to
Russell Odom

The Unibond acrylic substitute for silicone is pretty good. It's certainly as flexible, doesn't crack, and is a lot easier to use. Some blurb on the pack about "technology beyond silicone" which might even turn out to be true.

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , stuart noble as flexible, doesn't crack, and is a lot easier to use. Some blurb on the

I saw that but daredn't risk it, putting sealant on the bath is not a job to be repeated very often...

Reply to
Tim Mitchell