Re: Leaking bath seal

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:04:53 +0100, Russell Odom

I'm no expert Russell, but I've just fixed an identical problem, and it seems to have worked so far.
I ripped out the old beadin strip and all the old sealant to start with and then, this is the important bit, filled the bath right up with water to weigh it down as much as possible.
The rest was just lots and lots of sealant (out of a gun). I filled in the space between the bath and the tiles/wall with loads of the stuff, then I used a line of sealant along the back of both fins of the beading (just like the stuff you used), and once that was in place i also did a thin spread of sealant over the edges of the fins.
It seems to be working?
SadKate*** wrote:

Oops, yeah, forgot to mention - I did that too. There's no visible gap between the strip and the bath whether it's full or empty.

Does this hold up OK under the movement of the bath? Is yours a plastic bath? How much does it move when you stand in it?

So you've fixed the strip to both the tiles and the bath? I'm loath to do this, because I can see any movement breaking the sealant. Have you noticed this happening on yours?
Thanks,
Russ
-- Russell Odom http://www.gloomytrousers.co.uk / ** Remove the obvious before e-mailing **
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

cheapo bath sealant, it will not pull away. That stuff will stretch a significant distance.
--
Tim Mitchell

Tim Mitchell wrote:

OK, next question: how would I know if it's "proper"? The stuff I have sez "Flexibility factor is High", but looking at it closely I can't see any mention of the word "silicone". Anything else I should be looking out for? Good/bad brands, things to avoid?
Cheers,
Russ
-- Russell Odom http://www.gloomytrousers.co.uk / ** Remove the obvious before e-mailing **
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
Tim Mitchell wrote in message ...

as flexible, doesn't crack, and is a lot easier to use. Some blurb on the pack about "technology beyond silicone" which might even turn out to be true.

job to be repeated very often...
--
Tim Mitchell