re-filling laser toner cartidges

manufacturers.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

John Lewis.

A larger font would be useful on the T&C page.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Funnily enough did this very thing with a kit from

to fill a HP Laserjet 6MP cartridge. The heating tool is just a soldering iron with a round part on the end - took a few secs to melt the hole and 30 secs to fill with new toner. So far it's working perfectly and I'll be ordering more toner as I have a few old cartridges here.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Prompted me to wander off and have a look. The recycled black is only =A38.16 cheaper than OEM and the colours only =A36.36. Not worth the ris= k in my view.

Also looked for laser photo paper but ended up at the "bounce page".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The one on my ultra cheap Samsung has a removable plug once you've removed the end cover - held on by self tapping screws.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had to refill cartridges on my HP5PN and 2 others of the same model a number of times. Worked well and about ¼ of the price of new.

The tool for melting the hole had to be heated up - no problem - then tape put over the hole.

Got mine from the place below - very helpful and good service [1].

Not orderd anything for about 4 years now.

Reply to
PeterC

Same here, I buy mine from

- who purchase originals from other folk's overstock. Really fast service shipping from Belgium.

Reply to
Adrian C

That, unfortunately, is the problem with good quality remanufactured cartridges. They often cost nearly as much to recycle as to make in the first place, which is why there are some dodgy ones on the market. There are some where the difference is a lot more, but I try to offer every ink and toner cartridge available.

Thanks for that. I'll have to look into it.

Colin Bignell.

Reply to
nightjar

They buy more than me :-) Sometimes my suppliers do special offers and I can pass them on, but it is really only the compatible inkjet cartridges and ink refill kits that I sell enough of to be able to buy direct from the manufacturers.

Thanks for the comment. I'll have a look, but there is a lot of text to include and people don't like having to scroll down too far, so getting the balance right is difficult.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Apparently that's an old wives tale

boffins: Laser printers safe after all About as dangerous as making toast, seemingly

But it IS messy.

Reply to
pjlusenet

The dangers of reading what you want to read and not what is actually written.....

The article is talking about the possibility of laser printers emitting air-borne microscopic particles of dust, which might present a health hazard to those who work in close proximity to the printer/copier. There are other studies on the market that make the same point.

What it (conveniently) doesn't say is that the carbon black used in toners

*is* classified as a class 2B[1] carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.

Handling quantities of laser toner powder in a domestic (non-controlled) environment, not bothering with a face mask, coz those are for wimps and who'd think of using one anyway, spillage, contamination on hands, a draught - work it out for yourself.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Isn't burnt bread carcinogenic?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For no obvious reason, the whole section had become flagged as not visible on the web site. That has been corrected and the paper is back online. The ecommerce programme does have a bit of a history of occasional odd behaviour, which is why I am changing to something more modern.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The article doesn't mention handling the toner in bulk, as you would when refilling a cartridge. I would err on the side of caution. Also, whoever wrote the third paragraph was clearly smoking something stronger than brown-bread.

Reply to
Graham.

?£8.16 cheaper! if you have an older HP 4/5 series laser printer you can get a new original toner cart for that price.   ebay

Mark