rayburn 80 throat plate

I have a rayburn 80 - not long moved into the house. With the help of this newsgroup was able to locate spare parts needed thanks everyone for that.

No its up and running I managed to get hold of info for the rayburn but one thing that is not mentioned is the use of the throat plate, apart from how to remove it for cleaning.

Question is - I know that if I open the throat plate slightly (by pulling forward) the smoke goes around the back and presumably straight up the chimney - logic tells me that apart from when lighting the fire I should leave it closed ie: pushed to the back at all times, am I correct in asuming this or is there some other reason that the throat plate slides?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
gm4jnw

The directions for my Rayburn agree with you.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Not sure what a "throat plate" is, but I've a Supreme - this heats water for CH, too - it has an arrangement - "soot box", at the bottom of the flue, which has a damper which slides in and out, which constricts the flue opening, and a "dilution lever", which opens or closes a cast-iron flap on the front of the soot box - does yours have similar features?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No the Rayburn is a bit simpler than that it just has a sliding plate called a throat plate that slides this may be similar to the damper I guess. Its difficult to know how to operate the beast as it is quite old but I inherited it with the purchase of the house and as the water is Solar powered I mainly use it for heating.

Reply to
gm4jnw