Raspberry blower of old London town

So my fruit landed on the doormat today. I d/l Debian6, bung it on a 4Gig sd, blimey, it works. Had a play about with it then decided to start from scratch (I know rather less than zero about Linux). Deleted the files on the sd card, tried to re-write Debian and found that I now have 75Meg not 4Gig. WTF did I do wrong and is it recoverable? TIA.

Reply to
brass monkey

probably. You may have failed to let the card finish before powering off.

If possible put the flash in something else and check its really empty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Empty and still 75meg on a diff machine.

Reply to
brass monkey

It might have something to do with partitioning of the SD card when Debian was installed for the first time. That is only my supposition, however, and checking the card using "Partition Magic" or similar (GParted) could reveal more. If it is a partitioning issue, I'm surprised that the Debian installer didn't pick that up and offer you options for re-partitioning.

I believe that you have nothing to lose, however, because you said that you had deleted the files on the SD Card. That being the case why not just re-format the SD Card using a FAT32 default, and then try re-installing Debian onto the card?

If re-formatting the card doesn't work, then I think you have a hardware or MBR problem beyond my experience. Some background reading is available from the SD Association:-

Reply to
DaverN

Maybe your format tool cannot do the format it needs. No hidden partitions? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You may have corrupted the partition table. I'd simple start again, 'dd' the image back onto the card, then follow this procedure to recover the full size, and off you go:

Gordon Henderson

In message , brass monkey wrote

Try re-formatting with something like "HP USB Storage Format Tool" I've recovered cards using this utility Available from many download sites including

Alan

You will have a non-windows partition on the card that needs removing.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I didn't understand a bloody word of that :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many thanks guys, Alans "HP USB Storage Format Tool" did the business. Right, i'm off to make the custard. Now who do I see for a Linux version of Cumulus? :)

Reply to
brass monkey

Many thanks guys, Alans "HP USB Storage Format Tool" did the business. Right, i'm off to make the custard. Now who do I see for a Linux version of Cumulus? :)

(repost).

Reply to
brass monkey

The RPi SD card image has three partitions:

75MB boot partition (FAT format): Linux kernel, firmware for GPU xxGB root partition (ext3/4 format): Linux OS, user files xxxMB swap partition (swap format): storage for virtual memory (no files) (the last two may get resized depending on the distro and size of your card)

If you put the card in a Windows machine, Windows can only understand the FAT partition and claims the card is 75MB. If you want to use the card on Windows again you'd need to reformat it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

And I thought it was just me!

Reply to
newshound

Paraphrased:

The raspberry Pi single board computer I bought finally turned up... I downloaded the software I needed to make it do something, stuck it on one of those memory card things like you get in a digital camera, and plugged it in and turned it on. It worked. Then I broke the first rule of engineering (if it works, don't fix it) and tried to fix it. It kind of went pair shaped shortly after. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll buy the other one!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, er, er, yea, pretty much :D /msg Dave you don't wanna know, really ;)

Reply to
scorched

Are Raspberrys being made by hand by some bloke with a soldering iron in a shed somewhere? BAE Systems are building aircraft carriers faster...

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Are Raspberrys being made by hand by some bloke with a soldering iron in a shed somewhere? BAE Systems are building aircraft carriers faster...

Well if he is, he has bloody good eyesight and a pin as an iron. Some of the SMDs are far smaller than I ever used.

Reply to
scorched

The sad thing is I looked that that to make sure I had a plausible spelling ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not only that, I would be well impressed if you could solder the double stacked BGA processor with RAM "top hat" using an iron!

Reply to
John Rumm