Raising a Shower Base

Due to waste pipe problems Im going to have to raise the base

5 to 6 Inches its in an upstairs bathroom just wandering what to make it from any suggestions will be appreciated its going to be tiled when finished

Thanks Lenny

Reply to
Lenny Brown

I made a solution for this a few weeks ago for a neighbour with the same problem.

I started by making a frame from constructional timber (e.g.

250x50mm). This was the dimensions of the tray less the depth required for the tiles and adhesive. THere is a cross member internally from one side to the other for additional support.

I have a thicknesser, so was able to adjust the height of the timber to exactly what I wanted - an alternative would be to get a timber merchant to do it for you or you could achieve an acceptable result with a hand power planer.

I jointed the frame together and glued with polyurethane glue - it could be screwed together, but I would recommend gluing as well.

A piece of 18mm WBP ply was cut for the top, then cut in half and the pieces attached with screws before removing them again.

I treated all wood components and the floor area with clear Cuprinol preserver. This is probably not necessary, but this is going to be an enclosed space with the slight potential of water ingress at some point.

Holes in the top to match the waste and if need be in the side to take the waste pipe can then be cut and the fit of all components tested before locating into place.

I took off the top and fasted small blocks inside the frame at floor level. The frame was then screwed to the floor.

The trap and pipe can be fitted into place plus the ply. Having one piece of ply in place allows access for the hands underneath and the trap to be offered into position.

THe trap can be water tested at this point to be certain there are no leaks.

Finally, the second ply panel was fitted.

I treated the top of the ply with dilute PVA. A sand and cement mix is used for bedding the tray and I didn't want the water to be absorbed too quickly, although it is a dry mix. I used the same PVA on the surfaces to be tiled.

About 1cm of sand cement mix was laid on the ply top. Silicone sealer was smeared on the top surface of the waste fitting, more on the underside of the tray followed by the rubber washer for the waste. The tray was located into place and the waste located also. More silicone was smeared around the flange under the top part of the fitting and it was screwed into place.

Tiling can be done using a flexible adhesive.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Use wooden joist type material of the correct depth minus 25mm.

i.e. to raise 150mm, find 125mm timber or thereabouts.

Frame around the outside and put one or more joists down the middle (I'd go for 300-350mm spacing), depending on size and taking into account the plumbing (run the joists in the most convenient direction). Next put a sheet of 25mm thick ply on the top. Screw it all together.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle